This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1059326

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, NUFFIELD HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nuffield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 247852

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NUFFIELD NUFFIELD HILL SU68NE (South side) 5/143 Church of the Holy Trinity 09/02/59 II*

Church. C12, C14 north aisle and alterations, and chancel restored c.1845 by Benjamin Ferrey. Unknapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof, wood shingles to tower. 3-bay nave with north tower, 2-bay north aisle, and 3-bay chancel. Blocked Romanesque doorway to left of nave. Two 2-light Y-tracery windows to centre and right of nave, Plank door to centre of chancel. 2-light Y-tracery window to left of chancel. Quatrefoil window to right. 3-light Reticulated tracery window to right return. Left return: Studded plank door with 2-centred arch with hood mould to centre of end of nave. 2-light Y-tracery window above. Square tower to left with rectangular glazed opening, and shingles to top stage with pyramidal plain-tile roof. Rear: Blocked Romanesque doorway to centre of aisle. 2-light Y-tracery window to left of centre of aisle. Lancet to left of chancel, 2-light Y-tracery window to right. Interior: Reset medieval tiles to floor of chancel. C19 piscina to right of chancel. C19 stained glass to chancel. 2-centre Early English chancel arch with hood mould. 2-bay arcade to aisle with transitional column to centre and half-column to left. Romanesque font with inscription in Lombardic letters "(Fon)te sacro lotum vel mundat gratia totum, vel non est sacramenti mundacio plena." Brass to nave floor to Benert Engliss of c,1360. C15 roof to nave with moulded ribs and decorative carved bosses. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.724).

Listing NGR: SU6676487345

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 724

National Grid Reference: SU 66764 87345

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 11:54:14.

End of official listing