Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059424.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 00:39:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 68486 94757


WATLINGTON SU6894 6/115 Church of St. Leonard 18/07/63


Church. C12 and C14, much rebuilt by H.J. Tollit and E. Dolby in 1877: C15 west tower. Flint rubble with limestone ashlar quoins, dressings and bands: north aisle of coursed and dressed limestone rubble; limestone ashlar tower. Late C19 tile roof with decorative ridge tiles. Chancel, north transept, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. Corner buttresses with gablets flank early C14 Reticulated east window with C19 mullions. South-east aisle has 2 Decorated-style windows and one C15 window of 4 lights with central colonette. North-east aisle has early C14 Decorated window. North transept has tall 2-light window. Nave has north aisle with 2-light trefoil-headed windows, and south aisle with C15 style ogee-headed windows, offset buttresses and gargoyles, and C14 two-light west window: pointed chamfered doorway to south porch, moulded pointed doorway to C19 double doors. C15 west tower has offset corner buttresses, pointed moulded doorway to late C19 double doors with 3-light Perpendicular window over; 2- and one-light windows; moulded string course and cornice, embattled parapet; stair turret to north-east corner. Interior: reredos with elaborate gilt tracery by C.E. Kempe. Capitals with volutes and part of a cable-moulded shaft west end of south aisle, and south wall of chancel which also has C13 carved head. C12 arch and diapered tympanum in vestry (removed from north wall of nave). Two C15 arches to south chapel have shafted responds and central pier with capitals. South chapel has brass chandelier (purchased 1778), C18 chest and wall tablet, wall tablet to William Buckland, d.1597, and Harding family slab in floor dated l691. Nave has brass to Jerem Ewes, d.1587, in south-east corner, late C19 brass lectern, octagonal marble font with cover of 1897 and wood pulpit of 1874; late C19 roof. C14 four-bay arcade, with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers, to south aisle which has C14 tomb recess. Stained glass: east window, south chapel windows (1887), west window (1896), and 3 south aisle windows (1902) are by Kempe; north window of 'St. Paul in Athens' by Atkinson of Newcastle.(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.829-30; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.241).

Listing NGR: SU6848694757


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 829-30
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 241


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03456/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].