BRITWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND COACH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1059503

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: BRITWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND COACH HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRITWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND COACH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 22:41:31.

Location

Statutory Address: BRITWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND COACH HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Britwell Salome

National Grid Reference: SU 66777 92455

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRITWELL SU69SE 2/2 Britwell House and attached 18/07/63 walls and coach house (Formerly listed as Britwell House)

GV II*

Country house. Dated 1728 on rainwater head. Probably by William Townsend for Sir Edward Simeon: chapel of 1767-9 by Sir Edward Simeon. Flemish bond red brick with limestone quoins and dressings; side walls of grey brick with red brick bands and dressings. Welsh slate roof, copper roof over chapel; brick stacks. Central block linked by quadrant wings to flanking pavilions: chapel to rear left. Early Georgian style. 2 storeys and attic; 4-bay range with pedimented central bays having lunette in tympanum. Steps with urns to doorway: panelled double doors set in moulded stone architrave with carved stone brackets to moulded flat hood. Segmental-arched moulded shouldered architraves to 6-pane sashes with thick glazing bars. Moulded stone plinth course and bold cornice; raised chamfered quoins. Hipped roof; end and internal stacks. Pedimented roof- dormers in side walls. Quadrant wings have early C20 first-floors, C20 extension to left, and gauged brick flat arches over sashes and 2 panelled doors. 2-storey pavilion to right has 5-bay inner side wall and 3-bay front wall, similar arches over sashes and 2-panelled door; hipped Welsh slate roof with ridge stack. Similar pavilion to left has carriage entry with moulded brick and stone round arches. Chapel to rear left has pedimented doorway. Interior: panelled doors. Hall has keyed round-arched doorways flanking shell niche and Baroque fireplace with satyrs masks and scrolled pediment embracing a plasterwork vase of flowers, bold triglyph frieze, and pedimented Doric doorway to rear rooms which have mid C18 fireplaces. Fine cantilevered dog-leg staircase to right of hall has twisted balusters. Corinthian newel posts and panelled dado with Corinthian pilasters. Dog-leg stairs to left have turned balusters. Panelled room of c.1767-9 connects to chapel; panelled dado, fine plasterwork panels over pedimented doorcases and round-headed niche, coupled Corinthian columns to fine modillioned cornice and magnificent plaster ceiling "with acanthus scrolls, garlands, urns and cherubs supporting a chalice" (Pevsner). First floor has panelled rooms, and landing with fine plaster cornice leading to T-shaped panelled room with Ionic pilasters and round-headed, pedimented and segmental-pedimented doorcases. Subsidiary features: flanking walls to front with brick piers to plank double doors attached on left to early C19 brick coachhouse with 3 round-arched doorways and C20 pantile roof surmounted by bell cupola. The Simeons were a Catholic family: the poor Clares of Aire in Artois, fled the French Revolution and stayed here from 1789 to 1813. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.486-7; 6. Jackson-Stops, "Britwell Salome, Oxfordshire", Country Life, 1972, pp.810-814, 883-887; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.44).

Listing NGR: SU6677792455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 247473

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 486-7
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1954), 44
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1972)

End of official listing