This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE WHITE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WHITE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1059729

Location

THE WHITE HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Pyrton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248978

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PYRTON CHURCH LANE SU6895 (East side) 13/132 The White House 18/07/63 (Formerly listed as The Old Vicarage)

GV II

House. Late C15, extended in C17; extended and remodelled c.1800 for William Buckle, vicar 1787 to 1832. Originally timber-framed with jettied and gable side wings; close studding with brick nogging in left side wall. Roughcast; hipped old tile roof; late C15/C16; brick right end stack and C.19 lateral stacks. U-plan extended to double-depth plan. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Symmetrical 3-window range of c.1800 to right has stone porch with columns; decorative overlight with armorial glass over 6-panelled door flanked by glazed strips. 2-light casements over porch flanked by canted bays with casement windows: bay to left has 3-light leaded casements; parapet. One-storey bay, rendered with plank door and leaded casement, links main house to 2-storey range to left, rendered with hipped old tile roof. Early C19 brick wing to rear left, with canted oriel window, adjoins C17 wing of chalk rubble with timber lintels over sash and early C19 brick round-arched stair-light with ornamental leading and spandrel-pane of C16 Flemish glass depicting Calvary. Interior: late C15 moulded beam and post, and exposed timber framing in left room, which also has 4-centred cavetto-moulded doorway with trefoils and quatrefoils carved in spandrels. Central late C15 hall has beam with mortices for partition to left: c.1800 this hall was divided into dining room with fireplace to left and hall with concave ceiling and decorative fanlights over 2 doorways. Early C17 dog-leg staircase to rear, possibly reset, with turned balusters, moulded handrail and newel finial. First floor has fine room of c.1800 to rear left with fireplace and double-leaf doors. Roof: central lower king-strut truss with clasped purlins and curved windbraces in flanking wings, which were originally gabled to front before roof remodelled c.1800. In 1665, the owner, Thomas Eustace (gent), paid tax on 6 hearths, so making the house the third largest in the area after Stonor House and Pyrton House (q.v.). Described as "one of the prettiest abodes" in 1809, after William Buckle's alterations. The late C15 doorway is a rare traceried wood survival. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, pp.140-141; H.B. Weinstock, Hearth Tax Returns, Oxfordshire, 1665, Oxfordshire Record Society, Vol.XXI, (1940), p.19; M. Wood, The English Medieval House, 1965, p.343).

Listing NGR: SU6880595739

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964)
Weinstock, MB , Hearth Tax Returns Oxfordshire 1665, (1940), 19
Wood, E , The English Medieval House, (1965), 343

National Grid Reference: SU 68805 95739

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059729 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 12:46:37.

End of official listing