CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1059753

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059753 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 04:49:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Cuxham with Easington

National Grid Reference: SU 66186 97063

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CUXHAM WITH EASINGTON EASINGTON SU69NE 4/90 Church of St. Peter 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. Early C14. Limestone random rubble with ribbon pointing and ashlar quoins; gabled old tile roof. Nave and chancel. Early C14 three-light east window with string course at sill level and flanked by corner buttresses. 4-bay south wall has 2 trefoil-headed lancets and 2 segmental-headed lights, one with piece of C12 zig-zag moulding over; buttresses. North wall has buttresses, 3 similar lancets and reset C12 round-headed doorway with quatrefoil-carved imposts; late C19 door and timber porch. Gabled bellcote at west end. Interior: early C14 trefoil-headed piscina, panelled pulpit with date 1633 and tester all rebuilt in 1916, C19 pews. Chancel has 2-bay queen-post roof; nave has C14/C15 three-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof with curved windbraces and tie beams carved on soffits; queen-post truss at extreme west end. Stained glass: east window has 12 reset C14 rosettes, and reset C14 decorative glass in apex light. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.591).

Listing NGR: SU6618697063

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 248936

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 591

End of official listing