CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059763.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:46:12.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
- Brightwell Baldwin
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 65320 95002
15/12, 4/12 Church of St. Bartholomew
Church. C13, rebuilt early C14; west tower remodelled and north chapel built in C15: restored 1895. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, partly rendered to north; gabled old tile roof. Chancel, north chapel, aisled nave and west tower. Reticulated 3-light east window; south side of chancel has 3 two-light ogee-headed windows, pointed chamfered doorway and similar C15 transomed window, C15 north chapel has label moulds with head stops over 2- and 3-light windows. North aisle has 3 two-light ogee-headed windows, pointed moulded doorway and similar window in west end. South aisle has 3 two-light reticulated windows, flanking pointed moulded doorway to late C19 door with ancient decorated lock; porch, with pointed chamfered doorway, built 1904; 2-light window with radiating mouchettes in east end and 2-light ogee-headed window in west end. Tower has large offset corner buttresses flanking 2-light window over pointed doorway, set within revealed moulded arch with crocketed niches; C13 stair-turret with quatrefoil window to south; C13 paired lancets partly restored to south; late C18 crenellated third stage with blind lunettes and crocketed pinnacles. Interior: chancel has blind reredos arcade, roof and stalls of 1860's: screen erected 1903; C14 piscina and aumbry to south, and trefoil-headed recess to north; head of blocked C13 lancet set over and to side of C15 chamfered doorway with C17 studded door to north chapel which has piscina; early C14 double-chamfered blocked doorway to north aisle, which has Stone family chapel to east divided off by early C14 archway and late C19 screen, Nave has early C14 four-bay arcades of double-chamfered arches with linking hoodmoulds set on octagonal piers, complete Jacobean pulpit with tester, C14 octagonal font with C17 cover, late C19 reading desk and lectern, and C18 pews. South aisle has treoil-headed piscina, and medieval floor tiles at east end (also around font). Slab in porch commemorates Stephen Rumbold, d.1687. Monuments: chancel has wall brass to John Cottesmore, d.1439, and wife; floor brass to same persons depicted under canopies with 18 children below; C17 and C18 floor tablets. North aisle has wall brass to John the Smith, c.1371. Stone family chapel: alabaster tomb chest to John Carleton, d.1547, and wife, with lozenges framing shields and foils and brass inscription, and similar tomb chest to Anthony Carleton, d.1562, and wife. Monuments to William Lowndes Stone, d.1772, by Westmacott, with white marble urn and bay leaf garland; monument to Edward Stone, 1696, of cartouche with cherubs supporting drapery and flowers. Wall monument opposite on south wall to Francis Lowe, d.1754, and family, has broken pediment and crest set over 3 inscription panels with 4 Tuscan pilasters. East wall has lavish Baroque memorial erected c.1690 by John Stone in memory of his father and grandfather (d.1660 and 1640): cornice of armorial crests and skull against "a background of black smoke and flames painted on the ceiling" (Pevsner), and 3 white flanking urns set in black marble shell niches; white inscription panels. North aisle has memorials to servants from Brightwell Park. Stained glass: east window of c.1860. C14 glass in heads of chancel windows, and south-west chancel window has C17 armorial glass, C15 Archangel Gabriel and Virgin. Vestry has C15 Christ on the Cross inserted between Virgin Mary and John the Baptist. Nave has C15 glass at heads of south-east windows. Stone chapel east window has early C15 Virgin Annunciate (restored) and St. Paul, canopies above, C15 armorial glass in traceries: west window has C15 armorial tracery glass over St. Peter and St. Paul and scales with a devil trying to drag down a naked soul held in balance. The wall brass to John the Smith is probably the earliest surviving written in English. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.484-5).
Listing NGR: SU6532095000
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 484-5
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing