This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

No. 15 Fore Street and cottage at rear

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No. 15 Fore Street and cottage at rear

List entry Number: 1060025


No. 15 and cottage at rear, Fore Street, Taunton

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jul-1975

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269730

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/06/2015

ST 2224 SE 11/253 5365

FORE STREET (South Side), No. 15 and cottage at rear

(Formerly listed as No 15 (Tudor-Tavern) [Formerly listed as No 15 (Tudor-House Restaurant)] and The Cottage at rear of No 15)



Taunton's famous "Ancient House", formerly Halliday's Shop. Said to have been the town house of the Portmans. Overhanging 3 storey timbered front dated 1578 with initials TT and IT. Very high red tiled roof, the upper part of the gable breaking forward above the 2nd floor oriel, and 2nd floor jettied also. Carved bressumers and bargeboards with pendant, curved braces in studding. 8-light oriel to 2nd floor. 1st floor has 9-light oriel with additional lights at sides making a continuous 17-light window. All windows are mullioned and transomed and have leaded lights. Beading and billet motifs to ground floor fascia over modern shop fronts. Pointed stone arch to entry on left hand side, original wooden door. Wrought iron ornamental bracket for bell. Behind the late C16 front survives a late medieval hall with open trussed roof and arched braces. Interior is considerably restored. The rear wing, previously listed as 'The Cottage', is part of the same property. Probably originally the servants' quarters etc. Approached through the arched entry at side of No 15 and along a picturesque narrow court. 2 storeys. Timber framed, with 1st floor jettied. Ground floor is now one long room used as a bar: continuous mullioned window along one side, partly renewed. Old fireplace opening. Both interior and exterior have been much restored.

No 1A Billet Street, No 66 The County Hotel, the Brendon Bar and No 8 East Street, form an important group with the listed buildings in Cheapside, Fore Street and the Parade.

Listing NGR: ST2272624452

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 22726 24452


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:51:22.

End of official listing