CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1060114

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060114 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 05:49:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: Lyng

National Grid Reference: ST 33271 28874

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYNG CP MAIN ROAD (South side) ST32NW EAST LYNG

7/22 Church of St Bartholomew 29.3.63 - I

Anglican parish church. C14, C15, restored mid C19. Coursed and squared lias and lias rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. Nave, chancel, north and south porches, the latter now a vestry, west tower. Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Three-stage tower of Quantock type, set-back buttresses connected diagonally across the angles of the tower on the bottom 2 stages, these terminate as diagonal pinnacles on shafts at the third stage; paired 2-light bell-chamber windows with Somerset tracery flanked by attached shafts and pinnacles, quatrefoil grilles; similar single windows on the stage below, labels; embattled parapet with pierced quatrefoil panels, angle pinnacles, gargoyles; polygonal stair-turret to bottom stage with quatrefoiled parapet; 4-light west window with two 2-light sub-arches, west doorway with 4-centred arch head in moulded surround, spandrels with quatrefoil panels, paired ribbed and studded doors. Three-bay nave, 3 simple 2-light Decorated windows and a single Perpendicular window, remains of a former rood turret to north. Gabled C19 north porch. Rendered gabled vestry, C18 stone-mullioned window with Y-tracery. Two bay chancel with 2-light Decorated windows, one to north believed renewed 1903, 3-light Perpendicular east window. Scraped interior on wood block and flagstone floors under C19 wagon roofs, C19 ringing-chamber floor to tower. Panelled Perpendicular tower arch. Nave with piscina. Upper and lower entrances to rood. Norman tub font. Broad C14 sedilia in chancel with an ogee arch. Full set of C16 and C17 carved bench ends, much ornate work including figures and emblems, one bench dated 1614, some C19 restoration. Remains of base of C15 rood screen. Pulpit composed of richly carved fragments of the former rood loft. Two readers incorporating carving from old pews. C19 choir stalls incorporating further early carved fragments. Medieval chest. C18 chest. Under tower 2 large C18 paintings, Moses and Aaron. C19 altar rails and tiled reredos. Windows with rere-arches; to nave with simple leaded lights; to chancel with some medieval stained glass fragments, also windows by O'Connor dated 1866 and 1877, and window of 1903 by Thomas William Cann of Birmingham. Two C19 wall monuments. The building is believed to stand on a Saxon site, although there does not appear to be any Saxon work in the present structure. (Pevsner, N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Aston and Leech, Historic Towns in Somerset, 1977; Church Guide, anon; SANHS Proceedings, 29, 48; Photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST3326928874

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 269544

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guide to Church of St Bartholomew Lyng
Aston, M, Leech, R, Historic Towns in Somerset, (1977)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, ()
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, ()

End of official listing