CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1060255
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:20:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipstable
National Grid Reference:
ST 02029 26011

Details

ST02NW CHIPSATABLE RADDINGTON

1/10 Church of St Michael

25.1.56

GV I

Parish curch. Tower possibly C13, nave C14, chancel C15, restoration of tower dated 1675, chancel reroofed C19, church restored and tower rendered late C20. Thin bedded local slate stone, part rendered, rendered north face of nave and tower, slate roofs, remains of crenellations to nave. West tower, nave south porch, chancel with rood stair projection. Two stage tower with remains of crenellations, single light louvred bell-opening, 2-light C16 west window, date stone on south face initialled TY/WAR/LH 1675; single storey gabled C19 porch with applied half timbering to apex, inner doorway very fine moulded pointed arch C14 doorframe with slightly ogee head and early dour with C14 hinges and back plate, 2-light square healed cusped window to right, projection of former rood stair with 2-light wooden casement and decorative iron strap masking end of inserted tie to rood screen, similar on north front, chancel windows all with ferramenta, C15 windows flanking priests door with moulded depressed 4-centred arch head 3-light east window with hoodmould, 3-light window north front and c1500 3-light window to nave. interior rendered with evidence of wall paintings beneath plaster in nave. Nave with barrel wagon roof, bosses at intersections, C19 wagon roof with bosses to clancel. Tower arch pointed, straight sided with double chamfer rising iron imposts. Substantial remains of late medieval screen, 4 and half bays with cresting and inserted section below masking tie, rare survival of plastered tympanum above in entrance Stone slate with good lettering reset by jamb of chancel north window, inscribed to Mrs Susan Hammall (or hammatt) died 1707, and other members of the family. Reading desk dated 1713, Royal Coat of Arms painted on wood 1852. A remarkable survival of a largely unaltered medieval church. The church became a chapelry in 1971.(VCH Somerset, Vol 5, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST0202626013

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271163
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00105/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs G Martine Allmey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].