ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060273

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 12:03:21.

Location

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Staple Fitzpaine

National Grid Reference: ST 26400 18291

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST21NE STAPLE FITZPAINE CP STAPLE FITZPAINE VILLAGE

11/166 Almshouses

25.2.55

GV II* Almshouse. Dated 1643, restored 1970 when altered internally and new windows in similar style to front inserted on rear elevation. Donated by Sir William Portman, restored by Mr Clementoy. Squared and coursed blue lias, rendered rear elevation, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, gable ends and between first and second bays left and right. Plan: formerly 4 rooms on each floor opening off corridor along rear elevation, dogleg stairs at either end, now four 2-room flats, 2 on each floor, central stair inserted in entrance hall. One and a half storeys, 4 bays, all 3-light hollow chamfered stone mullioned windows on facade, in upper storey rising from eaves set in gabled dormers with coped verges and hood moulds, string course with ground floor windows set below, 2 either side of central door with plaque above 'Founded by Sir William Portman 1643, Restored 1973', C19 door with decorative hinges, coeval lean-to on right return, reroofed and extended with string course continued, square headed doorway with chamfered architrave and stops, C17 door; lean-to on left return rebuilt. Three gabled dormers on rear elevation looking towards churchyard of St Peters Church (qv). Interior not sighted, said to contain original post and panel partitions and roof trusses. The almshouses was originally founded to provide shelter for '6 poor people'. (Photograph in NMR Almshouse Gazette No 75, 1970; Sixsmith, Staple Fitzpaine and the Forest of Neroche, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2640018291

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 271105

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sixsmith, , Staple Fitzpaine and the Forest of Neroche, (1958)

End of official listing