WELLINGTON MONUMENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1060281
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
WELLINGTON MONUMENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of WELLINGTON MONUMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060281.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 18:51:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
WELLINGTON MONUMENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Wellington Without
National Grid Reference:
ST 13738 17229

Details

ST11NW WELLINGTON WITHOUT CP

8/188 Wellington Monument

25.1.56 II* Monument to the Duke of Wellington. Begun 1817-18 to a design by Thomas Lee, recommended after Duke's death in 1852 and completed as an obelisk, by H E Goodridge; 1890 restored and heightened another 1.5 m. Local stone. Plan: obelisk on triangular splayed base with end pilasters. Coved dentil cornice to base, tall unmarked doorway to stair with Egyptian winged panel above, good studded iron door with lattice work ventilation grill above, obelisk with steeply pointed top and circular windows. Interior not seen, a flight of 365 steps is said to rise to the viewing platform at the apex. It is 53.34 m in height. The original design was for a column surmounted by a cast iron statue of the Duke with sculptured figures of an English, Irish and Scottish veteran on the plinth; cannons captured at Waterloo were intended to surround the whole. This plan was abandoned because of the expense. (Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978).

Listing NGR: ST1373817229

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271122
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11218/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Abbiss. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].