CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1060352
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060352 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:16:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Langford Budville
National Grid Reference:
ST 11895 21877

Details

LANGFORD BUDVILLE CP ST12SW RUNNINGTON 4/46 Church of St Peter 25.1.56 GV II* Parish church. C15 nave and tower, c1840 re-roofed and chancel rebuilt. Red sandstone random rubble, tower squared and coursed, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges but not to chancel, slate hung gable end of nave. West tower,2-bay nave, south porch, chancel. Crenellated low 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage, moulded plinth,2-light bell-openings, tiny lancet below with C19 hoodmould, 2-light west window below with C19 hoodmould, 2-light window below string course, west doorway now blocked. Pointed arch with double roll moulding, 2-stage stair turret in north-east corner; all trefoil headed mullioned windows except in chancel, 2-light left of single storey gabled porch,chamfered arch opening, 4-centred arch inner doorway, C19 diagonally boarded door, decorative hinges, east return of porch with blue lias memorial stone to John Bindon died 1794 with good lettering, 3-light window right, stepped buttress, 2-light window south front of chancel, 2-light east window, hood mould terminal faces, north front another blue lias tablet, name illegible, died 1808, projecting rood stair turret with lancet window, two 2-light windows on north front. Interior: rendered, exposed squared and coursed rubble to tower, Cl9 4-centered chamfered chancel arch. Chamfered tower arch; chamfered 4 centred arch openings to rood stair turret with original stair; crocketed niche for statue in north wall of nave. C19 roofs, open ribbed and painted wagon roof to chancel, ceiled with bosses and wall plate in nave. Perpendicular font. C19 pine pews, harmonium, lords prayer and ten commandments on chancel wall. Pevsner remarks that Runnington is interesting as an illustration of the fact that even the smallest churches had rood stairs in the middle ages. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1189521877

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270988
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15356/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].