CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060391

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060391 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 05:28:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Orchard Portman

National Grid Reference: ST 24372 21650

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORCHARD PORTMAN CP ST22SW ORCHARD PORTMAN VILLAGE

4/93 Church of St Michael

25.2.55

GV II*

Parish church. Norman, chancel rebuilt early C15, Portman chapel erected as south aisle c1450, tower rebuilt c1540, Portman chapel demolished 1844 and rebuilt 1910 when south porch resited as north porch, vestry and organ bay added. Roughcast over lias, slate roof, coped verges. Plan: chancel, north east vestry and organ bay, 3-bay nave, south chapel, north porch now blocked, entrance via west tower. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, string courses, 2-light louvred bell-openings, 2-light below on south front, 3-light west window, pointed moulded arch doorway, C19 door, square stair turret uncrenellated with remains of crocketed finials on first stage; north front 3-light window left of gabled projecting Portman chapel, diagonal buttresses, 3-light window, door on east return, to right 3-light windows flanking buttress, priest's door, trefoil headed lancet to sanctuary, diagonal buttresses to east end with fleur-de-lys ties (the emblem of the Portman family), 3-light east window, single storey vestry with lancet, door on west front, 2-light window, buttress, 3-light mullioned windows flanking gabled, single storey porch, moulded semi-circular headed opening with hoodmould, blocked with inserted lancet. Interior: plastered, exposed rubble in tower. Ribbed wagon roof to chancel plastered barrel vault with moulded wall plates, shallow pitched moulded compartment ceiling to Portman chapel dated 1910. No chancel arch, pointed tower arch chamfered in 2 orders flanked by corbelled pilasters, chamfered pointed arch doorway to stair turret. Restored Norman doorway on north front, chevron moulding. Circular font in porch. Portman chapel pannelled with wrought-iron sconces and brass plaque with details of members of the family buried in the vault below nave. Brass to Henry Cole died 1633. Jacobean-style hexagonal pulpit. Late medieval stained glass, upper lights of window set in north wall, showing 4 evangelists; late C19 and early C20 stained glass including east window and Portman chapel window both signed by Arthur J Dix and dated 1911 and 1910 respectively. The earlier Portman chapel was demolished at the same time as Orchard Portman House which stood north-west of the church, illustrated by Kip in Britannia Illustrata, 1707. (Kelly's Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2437221650

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270877

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Britannia Illustrata, (1707)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)

End of official listing