HATCH COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1060405
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
HATCH COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of HATCH COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060405 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 10:08:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
HATCH COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Hatch Beauchamp
National Grid Reference:
ST 30645 20981

Details

HATCH BEAUCHAMP CP ST3020 ST32SW HATCH BEAUCHAMP VILLAGE 6/20 Hatch Court 12/20

25.2.55

GV I

Country house. Circa 1755 by Thomas Prowse for John Collins. Circa 1820-30 redecorated, service area enlarged and orangery added, renovated and dormers inserted in attic c1925-35. Ashlar Bath stone. moulded cornice, string course and plinth, slate roofs behind balustrade, pyramid roofs to towers, ashlar stacks. Plan: double pile with corner towers, curving wings behind, orangery on west front, service block to north abutting stables (qv). Three storey towers flanking 2-storey centre with attic, 1:5:1 bays; 12-pane sash windows in towers, 9-pane first floor with moulded architraves, ground floor 12-pane with pedimented tops and baluster sills in outer bays, central 5-bay loggia approached by flight of stone steps; returns symmetrical, 1:3:1 bays with central full height canted bay between towers, similar fenestration, segmental pediments to ground floor windows centre, approached by double flight of cast iron steps; west front continued with curved wing of orangery, 5 bays with 2 bays beyond, single storey; semi-circular headed 5 x 4-pane sash windows, linked by continuous hoodmould to pilasters. Kitchen block at rear with steeply pitched slate roof and cupola, latter visible behind orangery, abutting to north the former housekeeper's room, now museum, with Chippendale style glazed partition. Interior: hall with Ionic screen, T-plan stair with cast iron late C18 style balustrade possibly renewed in 1930s. Ionic screen on first floor landing with groined vault. Plasterwork cornices of 1810-20 and some good chimney pieces of the same period particularly in drawing room which has aid tiff rococo plasterwork ceiling similar to Sandhill Park (qv); panelled dining room, delightful oval library at junction with orangery, curved doors. The design is similar to Hagley where Thomas Prowse, a gentleman architect, is known to have been consulted. (Country Life 22 and 29 October, 1964; Photograph in NMR; Heale, Seats, 182Y; Collinson, History of Somerset, 1791).

Listing NGR: ST3064820981

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270804
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Neale, J P, Views of Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen, (1828)
'Country Life' in 22 October, (1964)
'Country Life' in 29 October, (1964)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08925/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].