This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RECTORY

List entry Number: 1060428

Location

THE RECTORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Monkton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270761

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST22NE WEST MONKTON CP WEST MONKTON VILLAGE

6/221 The Rectory



GV II

House, now rectory. Circa 1815, altered C19, 1933 and 1963. Roughcast over rubble, slate roof coped verges, heavy moulded cornice, brick stack South gable end, roughcast stacks left of entrance and West gable end. L-plan facing West, C19 and C20 additions on North front, South gable end fronting forecourt to tower of St Augustine's Church (qv). 2 storeys, 2:3 bays; 16-pane sash windows, ground floor fronted by 3:6 bay cast iron trelliswork verandah with glazed pentice roof, entrance in angle, many paned three quarter glazed double doors, C20 asbestos roofed garage abutting West gable end (not included). South gable end lit with two 16 pane sash windows; two 16-pane pointed arch windows with divided tracery lighting stairs on long East front. Interior; extensively altered C19 and C20. Collinson illustrated a large mansion, The Court House, on this site in 1791. It was reputedly demolished circa 1815 when the occupants, the Brickdale family, built Monkton House (not included) to the North West. The present building became the Rectory in 1933. It is possible that the South wall survives from this earlier dwelling which extended further South, but extensive C19 and C20 internal alterations have removed any features that might have been of interest Roof structure not sighted. Primarily listed for group value. (M E Roynan, Church of St Augustine of Canterbury, West Monkton, 1982; Collinson, Somerset, 1791).

Listing NGR: ST2627428477

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Roynan, M E , Church of St Augustine of Canterbury West Monkton, (1982)

National Grid Reference: ST 26276 28472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060428 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 11:52:12.

End of official listing