This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1060442



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hatch Beauchamp

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270796

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.





Parish church. Norman in origin, c1500 tower, porch dated 1530, north aisle chapel 1825, south aisle and chapel added 1834, church restored, chancel arch rebuilt further east and end bays of north and south aisles added in 1867 by Sir 6eorge Gilbert Scott, earlier addition by Richard Carver. Squared and coursed blue lias, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3 and a half bay nave, north and south aisles, north chapel, south vestry with organ bay, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower with crocketed pinnacles, pierced parapet with quatrefoils and arcades in the merlons, gargoyles, corbelled out pinnacles rising from diagonal buttresses, 3-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery, 4-light west window set on lintel of Tudor arch head doorway with decorated spandrels, C19 door, north east stair turret; 3-light west window to south aisle, 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, C19 Tudor arch inner doorway, much restored late medieval door, diagonally buttressed transept (vestry), 3-light window in gable end, door on east front, large 3-light south window to chancel with decorated spandrels, 3-light east window, diagonal buttresses, 2-light window on north wall of chancel, 3-light window at east end of north said to be reset from east end of north aisle, C19 doorway, north front four 3-light windows with stepped buttresses between, blocked moulded Tudor arch opening, some pieces of quatrefoil decorated panels either from tower or from crenellated parapet to aisle inserted in plinth, 3-light west window. Interior: rendered. Perpendicular arcade with leaf band capital, south arcade C19 coped. C19 pointed arch in south east corner, north east narrow arch with respond, chancel wall set squint to nave with C19 Perpendicular style arch. Perpendicular tower arch. C19 roofs, open wagon roof in chancel, arch braced in nave, both with stencilled decoration, panelled, shallow pitch aisle roofs. South aisle windows with panelled jambs, also east and west windows of north aisle, north front window with decorated spandrels; remains of 2-light window in north wall of chancel now lighting organ bay. C19 piscina and aumbry, stone reredos and tiles in sancturary. Organ 1875. Some late medieval bench ends, majority carved c1840 by Samuel Blackmore. C19 stained glass: window of south aisle to Ellen Raban died 1854, signed A Gibbs, Bedford Square London. South chancel window dedicated to Col Chard, VC, the hero of Rorkes Drift who died at The Close, Hatch Beauchamp (not included in this list), in 1897. His brother was the Rector of St Johns church. Remains of medieval stained glass in upper lights of west window in north wall of north aisle. Early C19 panelling forming vestry at west end of north aisle; 1904 panelled screen to tower arch. By chancel steps slate slab to John Towning died 1721, and another ilegible to north. Large oil painting of the Entombment in chancel. The chancel arch demolished in 1867 is said to have been Norman. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; Kelly's Directory 1914; Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST3060321124

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)

National Grid Reference: ST 30602 21122


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060442 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 04:05:01.

End of official listing