CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060489

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 15:51:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Durston

National Grid Reference: ST 29109 28110

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST22NE DURSTON CP DURSTON VILLAGE

6/92 Church of St John

25.2.55

GV II

Parish church. Rebuilt 1853 in Early English style having been enlarged in 1815, tower restored 1897, Lias random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. 3 bay nave, transepts, chancel, West tower, South porch. 3 stage crenellated tower with finials, set back buttresses rising to string courses, 3-light trefoil bell opening West face, trefoil headed lancet, 3-light West window above moulded test door, crenellated North East stair turret, 2-light windows flanking gabled porch with collar beam roof, moulded surrounds, C19 double doors, stepped buttresses to transept, 3-light South window, 2-light South window to buttressed chancel, 3-light East window, 2-light on North front, 3-light to vestry to right roof door, three 2-light windows to nave, Interior: ashlar faced. 4-centred tower arch with trefoil headed panelled screen, C19 chancel arch, unmoulded jambs, moulded archivault, Cl9 archbraced roofs, carried on foliage corbels, compartment ceilings in transepts. Mid C19 fittings, pulpit entered from door in West wall of vestry. Memorial tablet in grey and white marble with draped urn on South wall of tower to Thomas Grey died 1820 by R. Blore of Piccadilly; Thomas Grey paid for the restoration of the church in 1815, Altar table with baluster legs said to be dated 1635, appears late C19, (Photograph, NMR; Kelly's Directory, 1897; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958)

Listing NGR: ST2910928110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270603

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1897)

End of official listing