CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060537

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, BISHOPS HULL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060537 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:32:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, BISHOPS HULL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Bishop's Hull

National Grid Reference: ST 20482 24757

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST2024 BISHOP'S HULL CP BISHOP'S HULL ROAD (East side

13/8 Church of St Peter and St Paul

25.2.55

GV II*

Parish church. C13 lower stage of tower, upper C14, 1536 chancel and chapel, 1827-8 nave enlarged one bay beyond South aisle, arcade of latter removed, West end rebuilt, mid C20 West gallery added, West end windows renewed and lateral stack with boilerhouse added on South front. Early C19 work by Richard Carver. Roughcast West and South fronts, others blue lias and red sandstone random rubble with some brick, Ham stone dressings, asbestos slate roof to chancel, other roofs Welsh slate, coped verges. Plan: North tower, 2 bay North-East chapel, chancel, South-East chapel, long 2 bay nave, 3 bays wide, West porch, North-West vestry. 4 stage crenellated tower, square base broached to an octagon on upper 3 stages, string courses, 2-light bell openings, lancet, all with Somerset tracery, pointed arch North doorway with continuous double chamfer: right, single storey vestry, diagonal; butttress, reset C13 2-light West window, external stairs to West end gallery door. Gabled West front, diagonal buttresses, lancet in gable end, 4-light Tudor head window flanked by similar 2-light windows, single storey 3 bay porch with pointed arch openings, inner door left C19 Tudor arched head, chamfered, panelled double door; right reset moulded 4-centred arch doorway with ribbed and studded door, possibly C18, South front disfigured by tall C20 roughcast stack with single storey brick boilerhouse, two 3-light windows, sundial between, South front of chapel 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window, diagonal buttress to South chapel, 3-light East window, diagonal buttress to chancel 12 lght cinquefoil headed South window, 3-light East window, to right blue lias tablet to Mary, wife of the Rev. Farmham Haskell, died 1770. North chapel 3-light East window, North front of chapel 3 and 2-light cinquefoil headed mullioned windows, tower abutting right. Interior: rendered. Long 2 bays nave without arcades, Perpendicular arches between South chapel and chancel, chancel arch and arch between South chapel and nave dying into imposts, 2 arches to North chapel with angel capitals, tower arch blocked, entry via vestry door with blocked 2 centred arch above, perhaps entry to earlier gallery. Plastered cambered nave roof, ribbed wagon roofs with bosses to chapels, chancel restored ribbed wagon roof with bosses and will-plate. Aumbry in North chapel, 4 pieces of carved stone set against East Wall, one said to be dated, perhaps from demolished arcade. 2-light clerestory window made from rood loft opening in North wall, C20 panelled oak West end gallery carried on square columns, Royal Coat of Arms attached. Fine collection of C16 bench ends. including 6 set against wall in North chapel, majority of seating early C19 box pews. Impressive alabaster monument in chancel to George Farewell, died 1616, reclining figure with wife below in bas-relief flanked by 5 daughters and 3 sons, traces of colour, segmental head of niche split. Two good C17 wall tablets reset on South wall of nave, to George Farwell died 1647, and to his daughter Mary Brune, with pendant niche containg 3 children stacked one on top of the other. Pulpit composed of reset panelling, probably constructed early C19. The chancel walls are in poor condition due to subsidence. the chancel having been constructed without foundations. Until 1885 the parish was considerabley larger and this was the most fashionable church in Taunton during the first half of the C19. (Photographs in NMR Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; SANHS proceedings, vol 5B, 1912),

Listing NGR: ST2048224757

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270515

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1912)

End of official listing