CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1060554
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060554.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:45:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Milverton
National Grid Reference:
ST 12170 25875

Details

ST1225 MILVERTON CP ST MICHAELS HILL (East side)

11/240 Church of St Michael (formerly listed under General)

25.1.56

GV I

Parish Church. Some C13 work, mainly C14 and C15, restored 1849-50. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs. Four bay nave, four bay North and South aisles both extended 1 bay East, South porch, West tower. Crenellated 3 stage tower with finials and diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell openings with Somerset tracery, 3-light West windows, square turret in South-west corner. Remains of C13 work at base of tower which is set at an unusually oblique angle to the nave. Fives was played against the North wall. South aisle: 3-light windows above West door and either side of porch, 4-light to East, large buttress in place of original rood stairs, 3-light end bay South front, 4-light East end of aisle, 3-light in chancel to East of priest's door, 4-light East end, 2-light North side of chancel with mid C19 vestry set in angle with North aisle, end rebuilt mid C19. Four 3-light windows with door at West end of North front with stepped buttresses between. C14 porch. Interior: rendered. Octagonal piers with double chamfered arches not symmetrical, South arcade mid C19. Wagon roofs. Double chamfered tower arch with head corbels. Wooden galleries, North aisle galleries mid C19 copy of C18 South aisle. Most important feature of the church is the large and fine collection of early C16 bench ends. Some late C15 - early C16 carving has been incorporated into the early C20 screen. Circular Norman font. (SANHS Proceedings, Vol 58, 1912; Jeboult, West Somerset, 1893; Pevsner, Buildings of England, West Somerset, l958; photographs NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1217525874

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270451
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jeboult, , West Somerset, (1893)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 58, (1912)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15451/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].