Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060835

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1986



Ordnance survey map of HEADCORN MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 21:25:17.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Headcorn

National Grid Reference: TQ 83129 44229


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HEADCORN CHURCH WALK TQ 8344 (South side) 10/45 Headcorn Manor [Formerly listed as the Old 20.10.52 Vicarage)


Parsonage, now house. Circa 1516, restored in C20. Timber framed with plaster infilling and plain tile roof. Wealden with 2 roughly equal-length hall bays and storeyed bay to each end. 2 storeys and attic. Right and left end bays jettied to front and to gable ends. Right end bay also jettied to rear, left end bay projects: either unjettied or underbuilt. Moulded dragon posts to front, plain to rear to right. Every elevation close-studded. Solid bracket under each end of central tie-beam. Solid- spandrel brackets to front and rear flying wall-plates. Steeply pitched hipped roof. Multiple brick ridge stack to left end of hall. Gabled dormer to left hip. Irregular fenestration of 4 windows; one 4-light wooden mullioned canted oriel window to each end bay with shaped bracket under and cinquefoil-headed lights. 2-storey canted bay with close-studded sides and solid bracket to base, to right end of left hall bay with 4-light wooden mullioned window to each floor, with cinquefoil-headed lights and daggers. 2-light wooden mullioned window to right hall bay, with cinquefoil-headed lights and trefoils. Similar 2-storey canted bay and 2-light window to rear elevation of hall. 2-light ovolo-moulded wooden mullioned window to rear of left hall bay and diamond mullioned window to rear of right end room. Boarded door to right end of hall with moulded 4-centred arched architrave with carved roses to spandrels and moulded brattished bressumer over. Similar but less elaborate door opposite to rear. Interior: Moulded end- of-hall beams, that to left end brattished. Short moulded spears beside front and rear doors, possibly removed from left end of hall. Three 4- centred arched service doors to right end of hall, that to centre with roses to spandrels, leading to stairs. Moulded central truss posts, moulded arch-braced tie-beam of heavy scantling, and moulded crown post. Ashlar pieces. Ogee end-of-hall braces to first floor and to end-of-hall crown posts. Close-studded infilling below inner wall-plate. Cl7 newel staircase in front of stack. Moulded beams to inserted hall floor. Moulded 4-centred arched brick fireplace to first floor left end bay. [J, Newman, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).

Listing NGR: TQ8313044229


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 174272

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

End of official listing