This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOUGHTON PLACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOUGHTON PLACE

List entry Number: 1060859

Location

BOUGHTON PLACE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Boughton Malherbe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 174232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOUGHTON MALHERBE CHURCH ROAD TQ 84 NE (North side) Grafty Green 6/6 20.10.52 Boughton Place

GV I

Country house. 1520s, circa 1553 and circa 1586, with C19 and C20 alterations. Ragstone. North gable end and gable end turret red brick in English bond. Plain tile roof. Possibly fragment of courtyard house. C16 section with extension to south, probably of mid C16. North gable end late C16 or early C17. West elevation: 2 storeys, attics and cellar. Moulded stone plinth to left (north) section, ramped up towards left end and extending to door of right (south) section. Eaves of left section higher. Brick crow-step gables to left gable end and low gable end turret. Rendered coping to right gable end. 2 projecting brick stacks to left gable end, and slender projecting stack to gable end of turret. Ridge stack to junction of 2 sections, and rear stack to left end of right section. 3 hipped dormers. Irregular fenestration of 7 stone mullioned windows; 4 to left section hollow-chamfered with round-headed lights, and 3 to right section. 6-light mullioned and transomed window with moulded jambs, under eaves to left end of left section. 3-light mullioned frieze window, also under eaves, towards centre with 2-storey canted stone bay immediately to right of it. Bay has 4-light mullioned and transomed side lights almost continuous with 8-light mullioned and transomed centre lights on each floor. 2-light window with squared hoodmould set lower, towards right end of section. 3-light frieze window to left of bay on ground floor, lowered in mid C20, and 3-light window to left end of ground floor. Right section has regular 3-window front of stone cross windows with moulded horizontal hoodmoulds to first floor. Ground floor has 3-light mullioned window to left end, 3 small rectangular and one pointed arched window morticed for iron bars. 3 rectangular hollow-chamfered openings to cellar with level moulded dripmoulds. Low 4-centred arched hollow- chamfered doorway towards left end of right section. 2-storey stone stair turret to rear of left end of right section, with moulded stone cornice band below eaves, hipped roof, 2-light hollow-chamfered mullioned first- floor window to rear and similar 3-light ground floor window to long left side. Interior: heavy scantling girders to ground-floor right end room. Ogee-headed stone niche to rear wall of same room. Moulded stone fire- places, that to rear of first floor room of right section with [possibly re-set] 1553 datestone. Blocked moulded opening with elongated 4-centred arched head to ground floor of left gable end with re-set 1586 datestone. Moulded stone doorways. Deeply moulded stone doorway to long right side of rear stone stair turret, flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters. Exposed framing, ogee brace and continuous moulded wooden cornice to first- floor left end room. Moulded beams to rear stair turret. C16 ribbed plaster ceiling to ground floor left room. Fragments of panelling to window recesses of first-floor room of right section. Fragment of ornate C16 painted coved plaster ceiling to same room. Wooden panelling of 1520s removed 1923. Home of Wottons and birthplace of Sir Henry Wotton. [J. Newman, West Kent and the Weald, 1980, Country Life 22nd and 29th April 1922).

Listing NGR: TQ8819449629

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)
'Country Life' in 27 April, (1922)
'Country Life' in 22 April, (1922)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 24 Kent,

National Grid Reference: TQ 88194 49629

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060859 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 07:11:38.

End of official listing