CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060920 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:49:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Maidstone (District Authority)
- East Sutton
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 82793 49552
TQ 84 NW
5/55 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
Parish church. Mid C13 or earlier, early C14, C15, and late C15/early C16, restored 1897-8 and 1984-5. Roughly coursed stone with plain tile roofs where visible. West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel continuous with nave, with chapel to north and south and with narrower unchapeled sanctuary. North aisle. West tower: C15. 3 stages, on moulded plinth. Diagonal north-west and south-west buttresses. Battlements above moulded string. Polygonal south-east stair turret taller than tower. 2-light belfry windows with moulded jambs and squared hoodmould. Small rectangular light to all but east face of second stage. Traceried 3-light west window with moulded jambs and hoodmould. 2-centred arched casement-moulded west doorway with attached shaft to each side and hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. South aisle: early C15. Moulded plinth. Diagonal south-west buttress. Battlements above moulded string. One early C15 3-light traceried window each side of porch, with moulded jambs and hoodmould. Porch: C15. Moulded plinth. Battlements above moulded string. Single round-headed, hollow chamfered light to north and south. 2-centred arched casement-moulded outer doorway with slender shaft each side, circumscribed quatrefoils to spandrels and squared moulded hoodmould, formerly with carved label stops. 4-centred arched inner doorway with continuous hollow chamfer and roll moulding and moulded hood- mould. Stoup with hollow spandrels in east wall. Ribbed inner door. South chancel chapel: projects slightly south of aisle. Plinthless, gabled, with 2 south buttresses. Late C15/early C16 three-light window to south, and one to east, the former with squared top, the latter 4-centred arched, both with hoodmoulds. Chancel: C20 brick plinth. Diagonal south-east buttress. Gabled. 3-light east window of 1897. Small ogee- headed north light. North chancel chapel: C14, with C20 brick plinth. Diagonal north-east and north-west buttresses. Steeply pitched gabled roof, higher than chancel. East window and north window, each of 3 cusped and subcusped lights, former with intricate tracery of stars and quatrefoils within 2-centred arched head, latter with segmental head, sexfoiled ogivals, elongated stars and cusped mouchettes. North aisle: early C15, on moulded stone plinth. Battlemented above moulded string. 2 buttresses. Rood loft stair turret in angle between aisle and north chapel. 2 early C15 three-light windows with hoodmoulds. Small cinquefoil-headed west light with squared top, hollow spandrels and hoodmould. Interior: structure: 4-bay early C14 nave arcade of hollow-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases, north arcade differently moulded from south. 2-bay chancel arcade, also with hollow- chamfered pointed arches. Octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases, those to south similar to, but probably later than those of south aisle, those to north C14 and more finely carved than nave arcade. South nave and chancel arcades continuous, north separated by slight pier. No chancel arch. Arch between north and south aisle and chapel probably early C15; evidence for more steeply pitched pre C15 lean-to roof to aisles. Tall C15 tower arch of 3 hollow-chamfered orders with attached shaft each side. Aisle windows have moulded rere-arches springing from slender attached shafts. North window of north chancel chapel has moulded inner architrave. East window of chapel has each inner reveal panelled by 2 slender attached shafts joined above capitals with applied ogee arch with cinquefoiled soffit, head of which forms impost for one of 2 chamfered orders over window. Finely- moulded stone window cill. 2-centred arched doorway to rood loft stairs, Moulded 2-centred arched doorway to tower stairs. Roof: 3 octagonal crown posts to nave with moulded capitals and bases, moulded collar purlin and tie-beams and moulded and brattished cornice. Sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. Brackets between pendant posts and tie-beams carved with elongated trefoils. 3 medieval octagonal moulded crown posts to chancel, with hollow-chamfered collar purlin; rest of roof replaced. Common rafter roof to north chapel, with high collars, sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. South chapel roof rebuilt. Lean-to aisles. Fittings: Late C13 hexagonal font with trefoiled panels, on 7 plain stone shafts, standing on moulded hexagonal base. Ogee-headed piscina in south wall of sanctuary, trefoil-headed piscina to south wall of south chapel, and rectangular moulded piscina to east wall of north chapel. Large hagioscope to south chapel. Continuous stone seat to north wall of north aisle. Carved hexagonal early C17 wooden pulpit. Charity board of 1888. Decoration: Fragments of C14 and C15 glass, and some armorial glass in south chapel. Monuments: Monument on west wall of south aisle to the Reverend Sir John Filmer, d.1834 and wife; Grecian, in white marble on black ground, with figures of Faith, Hope and Charity in relief. Signed by Ternouth. Tablet on south wall of south chapel to Mrs Dorothea Filmer, d.1793; white marble on black ground, fluted borders with guttae to base and urns to top, surmounted by larger urn with shield. Tablet on south wall of south chapel to Richard Argall, d.1605; egg and dart surround to recessed panel, texts within bands above and below, decorated side panels, cornice with shield and achievements. Monument on south wall of south chancel chapel to Margaret Randolph, d,1609; kneeling alabaster figures in relief, flanked by free-standing Corinthian columns on consoled plinth, with coffered arch, moulded frieze and cornice, shields and side- pieces. Brass on floor of north chapel to Sir Edward Filmer, knight, d.1629; engraved with figures of Sir Edward, wife and 18 children. Monument to Robart Filmer Esq., d.1585 in north- west corner of north chapel; stone table tomb with moulded plinth, corniced lid and plain pilasters. Inscription on back plate flanked by Ionic columns with bead-and-reel frieze, moulded cornice surmounted by small obelisks and shield. Skull below inscription. Cartouche on north wall of north aisle to Sir Robert Filmer, Baronet, d.1720. Monument on north wall of north aisle to Sir Edward Filmer, d.1755; white marble with moulded plinth and cornice, shield to base, and bust. Memorial on north wall of north aisle to Beversham Filmer, d.1763; scrolled rectangular tablet with moulded plinth, sheild to base, scrolled pediment and urn. Tablet on north wall of north aisle to Sir John Filmer, Bart., d.1797, with lightly moulded plinth and cornice, shield below, and gadrooned urn against black marble obelisk above. (J. Newman, Buildings of England series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980.)
Listing NGR: TQ8297348410
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing