CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1060948
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060948.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 11:24:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Maidstone (District Authority)
Parish:
Chart Sutton
National Grid Reference:
TQ 80439 49414

Details

CHART SUTTON CHURCH ROAD TQ 8049-8149 (east side) Church of 7/32 St. Michael 26.4.68 GV II

Parish church. C14, rebuilt except tower 1779-82 by Henry Holland, altered 1897-8. Tower irregular blocks of roughly coursed stone. Small blocks of evenly coursed and galletted stone to rest of church. Slate roof to nave. Plain tile roof to chancel and chapels. West tower with south porch. Broad nave, partly extending round tower. Chancel with north and south transeptal chapels. Tower: C14, with belfry partly rebuilt. Unstaged on low battered plinth with north-west and south-west angle buttresses. Brick-dressed belfry lights with segmental heads. Small chamfered rectangular light below belfry to north and south. West window of 2 ogee-headed cinquefoiled lights with sub-cusped ogival. Moulded 2-centred arched west doorway with continuous rib. South porch: C19 with angle buttresses, and 2-centred arched doorway. Nave: Late C18 altered 1897-8. South elevation: No plinth. Tooled stone eaves band, carried round gable ends. Projecting eaves with flat soffits. Three C19 windows alternating with buttresses. East end bay of south elevation retains late C18 blocked 4- centred arched doorway with quatrefoil above, both with raised tooled stone architraves. South chapel: 1897-8. Built at right-angles to chancel, with plinth and angle buttresses. 2-light window and 2-centred arched doorway to south. Chancel: 1897-8, with plinth and angle buttresses. No south windows. 1897 consecration stone. 4-light east window. North chapel: 1897-8. As south but without door. Nave: north elevation: Four C19 windows alternating with buttresses. Late C18 west lancet with raised tooled surround. Interior: structure: broad aisle-less nave. C14 tower arch with pointed arch of 3 chamfered orders and attached semi- octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases. C19 chancel arch and chancel arcades. Scientific king-post roof to nave. Fittings: Royal arms to south-west end of nave. 2 benefactors boards under tower. Further board under tower giving dates of destruction and rebuilding of church 1779-82. Plaque stating chancel re-opened 1898. Monuments: small marble tablet on south wall of nave to Francis Robins, d.1720, with moulded plinth on gadrooned consoles and moulded cornice with shield. Small marble tablet on north wall of nave commemorating monuments to John Smyth, d.1732, and members of Smyth family, destroyed during fire of 1779. (J. Newman, B.O.E., West Kent and The Weald, 1980).

Listing NGR: TQ8043949414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
174049
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/14094/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ray Hardinge . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].