This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1060964

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, BUNCE COURT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Otterden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 173981

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OTTERDEN BUNCE COURT ROAD TQ 95 SW (west side)

5/243 Church of St. Lawrence 26.4.68. GV II*

Parish church. 1753-9, possibly designed by the Rev. Granville Wheler of Otterden Place, on footings of Medieval nave. Chancel of 1894. Red brick in Flemish bond with plain tile roof. Rectangular, with very small chapel or alcove for monuments on noth side, and small chancel. Brick plinth with plain ashlar coping, rusticated ashlared stone quoins, broad wood eaves band, projecting eaves with flat soffits and single plain modillions. Hipped roof. West front (towards Otterden Place) has 2 niches with round-arched rubbed brick heads and stone cills, with 3 blank rectangular recesses above. Central fielded panelled door with slightly segmental head, plain stone architrave and triple keystone, topped with moulded cornice. 3 mid C19 round-headed stone windows to south side. Interior: Mid C18 detailing. Chinese Chippendale benches. Brasses to Thomas Seintlegier, d. 1408; Isobel Chyrche, d. 1488; John Aucher, d. 1502 and James Aucher, d. 1508. Standing wall monument to William Lewin, d. 1598; alabaster, with recumbent figures flanked by Corinthian columns carrying entablature and achievements. Kneeling children to base. Verse inscriptions. Standing wall monument to John Bunce, d. 1611; alabaster, with kneeling figures at a prayer desk. Standing wall monument to Sir Justinian Lewin, d. 1620, attributed to Epiphanius Evesham (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, North East and East Kent, 1969). Alabaster and black marble, with plaster figures, he lying, she kneeling, with daughter beside. Flanking columns bearing pediments. Memorial slab to Margaret Slatyer, d. 1654. Cartouche to Sir George Curteis, d. 1702 with putti to top and hollow skull to base. Scrolled cartouche to Ann Curteis, d. 1722 (J. Newman, op. Cit.)

Listing NGR: TQ9466854202

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1969)

National Grid Reference: TQ 94731 54184

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 03:07:35.

End of official listing