CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1061089
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061089.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:28:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Shepway (District Authority)
Parish:
Newington
National Grid Reference:
TR 18264 37369

Details

TR 13 NE NEWINGTON THE STREET (East Side) 4/49 Church of St. 29.12.66 Nicholas

GV II*

Parish church. Late C11 or C12 and C13, with late C18 or early C19 alterations. Uncoursed stone rubble with ashlared dressings. North porch stone with red brick cornice to sides, buff brick with ashlared stone dressings to front. Plain tile roofs. Shingled bell turret with leaded roof. Nave, incorporating west bell turret. Chancel with north chapel. North aisle, narrower than chapel incorporating vestry to west. North porch. Nave: late C11 or C12. Round-headed doorway to west gable end, with small voussoirs and no imposts. Lower part of west section of south wall thickened. 4 south windows; one trefoil-headed light above east end of thickened section, one segmental-headed window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with hoodmould, one square-headed window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with hoodmould and one C19 or C20 light. Blocked round-headed south doorway. Bell turret: late C18 or early C19 rectangular turret rising from west end of nave, with louvred pointed-arched belfry light to each face and leaded ogee spirelet with weathervane. Chancel: C13. Two restored trefoil-headed lights to south, 2 rendered east lancets. North chapel: C13. Gabled, with 2 north buttresses. C14 three-light east window with cusped intersecting tracery. 2 small north lancets. Blocked lancet to west gable. North aisle: C13 or C14. Vestry C19. Lean-to. Wall thickened towards west end. Small round-headed lancet to each side of porch. Vestry window of two chamfered round-headed lights with grilles. Porch: late C18 or early C19. Bargeboards. Narrow lightly-fluted stone plat band across gable. Pointed-arched brick outer doorway with double doors panelled at base, half-glazed above. Stone inner doorway with chamfered pointed arch and double doors each with 3 fielded panels. Interior: Structure: 3-bay nave arcade of unchamfered pointed arches springing from chamfered imposts. Lower, narrower restored arch to east end of arcade, probably associated with rood-loft stairs. Round-headed chancel arch with chamfered imposts. Arch between chancel and north chapel similar to nave arcade. Roof: nave roof 1958 in 7 cants. Chancel roof ribbed and panelled in 6 cants. Chapel roof plastered in 5 uneven cants. Fittings: hagioscope between chapel and chancel, trefoil-headed to chapel side, and with rectangular aumbry beside it to chancel. Hexagonal pulpit with base of linenfold panelling and and crocketted upper panels possibly re-used from C15 screen. Circular font on five stone shafts with ring-moulded bases, outer 4 shafts of scallop-shell plan. Monuments: On south wall of nave (probably removed from chancel floor):- half brass of a woman, circa 1480?; brass to Richard Ryege, d.1522, and 3 wives. On south wall of chancel; brass to priest John Clerk, d.1501, and brass to Thomas Chylton, d.1501, with wife and 3 children. Brass on chapel floor to Henry Brockman, d.1630; armoured man with wife, 7 children, shields and border. Plain brass on north wall of chapel to Helen Strout and children, all d.1628. Black and white marble tablet on south wall of chancel to James Brockman, d.1767, by J.F. Moore. Fluted side pilasters with classical enrichment; concave- shouldered frieze surmounted by sarcophagus and boat. Stone tablet on west wall of chapel to Christophar Petty, d.1668, with coat of arms. Marble tablet on south wall of chapel, to W. Brockman, d.1741; rectangular, with moulded edges and moulded cornice surmounted by arms and achievements. Latin inscription. Plain rectangular tablet below giving English translation. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, North East and East Kent, 1983).

Listing NGR: TR1830137501

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
175626
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/10873/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].