CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061130

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 02:58:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway (District Authority)

Parish: Dymchurch

National Grid Reference: TR 10315 29737

Details

TR 103 298 DYMCHURCH HIGH STREET (west side)

4/61 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 9.6.59 GV II*

Parish Church. C12 and C13, restored in 1821. Stone, with rendered mortar. Tower partly timber framed, with upper stage tile-hung. Slate roof to nave, plain tiles to chancel, wood shingles to tower. Small west tower, nave, south porch, chancel. West tower: 1821, built between 2 existing stone buttresses at west end of nave. 2 stages with pyramidal tower. Rectangular louvres to upper stage. C19 pointed-arched wooden casement to west, and ribbed west door under flat bracketted hood. Inner doorway C12 with round- headed arch of 3 orders (plain, fat roll and chevrons) springing from square moulded abaci. Single shaft either side with scalloped cushion capital and moulded base. Nave: no plinth. Rounded C19 kneelers. Two C19 south windows in an early C15 style. South porch: 1910. Pebbledashed with plain tile roof on moulded plinth. Moulded 2-centred arched outer doorway. Inner doorway C12, similar to west doorway but with rows of small nailheads visible within base moulding. Chancel: C12, east end possibly rebuilt in 1821. Single chamfered lancet-type light to north and to south. Similar but broader light to east. Semi-octagonal north-east vestry of 1910 not included. Nave: north elevation: 1821, with low plinth. Rendered rectangular stack to east end. Two C19 windows in an early C15 style. two C19 west windows to north of tower. Interior: structure: broad aisle-less nave,widened to north in 1821. C12 chancel arch, plain to east, decorated to west with fat roll and chevrons springing from square moulded abaci, each surmounting single shaft with voluted cushion capital and moulded base. Narrow tiles laid in herringbone pattern infilling archways of south and west doorways. Roof: nave roof 1821, in 5 cants with 3 queen-post trusses. Chancel roof of common rafters and collars re-using older ashlar-pieces. Fittings: no stoups or piscinae. Broad plain- chamfered pointed-arched aumbry in east wall of nave to south of chancel arch, linked to much taller, broad, hollow-chamfered opening, possibly a sedile, in south wall of nave towards east end. Both have roll chamfer-stops. The "sedile" has key-pattern wall-painting within head, with traces of superimposed patterning. Font, medieval or C17, with circular bowl, octagonal shaft, with fat roll to base above short cylinder with fins to a final rectangular plinth, all with pronounced vertical tooling. Gallery of 1821 spanning west end on 5 rectangular Doric columns, with fielded panels, and splat balusters to staircase in south-west corner. Royal Arms 1778 on north wall of nave. Monuments: wall tablet on south wall of nave at east end to Captain Timothy Bedingfeild, d.1693, and Mary his wife, d.1714; black and white marble on moulded plinth with consoles, and moulded cornice surmounted by emblem. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).

Listing NGR: TR1034429640

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 175519

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

End of official listing