CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061152

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, A2070

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 11:28:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, A2070

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway (District Authority)

Parish: Brenzett

National Grid Reference: TR 01422 29934

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 014 299 BRENZETT A2070 (west side) Snave

6/13 Church of St Augustine 9.6.59 GV II*

Parish church. C13, C14, and C15, restored 1873 by C.T. Whitley. Roughly coursed stone with plain tile roof. West tower, broad nave, south porch, chancel set towards south side of nave with chapel to north which projects north beyond nave. West tower: C14 or early C15. Two stages. No plinth. Setback buttresses. Battlements. Small chamfered rectangular light with wood louvres to each side of upper stage and to west and south side of lower stage. Moulded 2-centred arched west doorway with roll-and-fillet hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. Nave: C13. Plinthless. South elevation has 2 buttresses and two C19 two-light windows in a C14 style, with hoodmoulds. South porch: C19. Small blocks of roughly squared coursed stone. Moulded 2-centred arched doorway and two C19 windows. Inner doorway medieval; 2-centred arch with hollow chamfer. Chancel: C13 rebuilt or altered in C14. Plinthless. Three buttresses. Two cusped C19 two-light south windows with hoodmoulds. 3-light east window with similar cusping, with inscription beneath: "ErectedA.D. 1873 Edward Wilkinson Rector". North chapel: C13 altered in C14. Plinthless. Three buttresses. Gabled. C19 octagonal moulded stone stack to north east corner. Reticulated 2-light east window of C14 origin with hood mould. North windows similar but probably restored. C19 two-centred arched doorway with hoodmould to west end. North elevation of nave: Plinthless. 2 buttresses. 2 cusped C14 two-light windows, probably largely original, one with ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil, the other with intersecting tracery, both with hoodmoulds. No west window. Interior: Structure: West door leads into base of tower, one step lower than rest of church. Broad aisleless nave leading by separate eastern arches to both chancel and north chapel. C14 two-bay chancel arcade of double-chamfered arches dying into walls and central octagonal column with moulded base and renewed moulded capital. Broad chamfered chancel arch with cushioned chamfer-stops; probably C14, with renewed head dying into wall. C13 arch with chamfered imposts between nave and chapel. Low tower arch, also with chamfered imposts. Roof: nave cornice C14 with roll-and-fillet moulding stopped at tie-beams with horizontally-carved heads. Crown-post roof to chan cel later, with central cambered hollow-chamfered tie-beam, chamfered collar purlin and moulded octagonal crown-post. Short pendant posts support hollow-chamfered arch braces with solid spandrels. Moulded cornice. Common-rafter roof to chapel with sous-laced collars; ashlar-pieces and moulded cornice to north side only. Moulded tie-beam with pendant posts and solid arch-braces. Fittings: C15 piscina and sedile to south wall of chancel, the latter with brattished cornice, moulded jambs and vestigial arms. Trefoil-headed piscina to south wall of chapel. Stone slab with skull, cross-bones, scythe and tools on north wall of nave. Pulpit of 1858 incorpating finely-carved traceried heads of a Medieval screen. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, WestKent and the Weald, 1980).

Listing NGR: TR0101131066

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 175470

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

End of official listing