CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1061163
Date first listed:
09-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 01:29:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Shepway (District Authority)
Parish:
Burmarsh
National Grid Reference:
TR 10118 32035

Details

TR 101 321 BURMARSH

4/47 Church of All Saints 9.6.59 GV II*

Parish church. C12. C13 and C15, restored 1878. Stone, with plain tile roof to chancel. Nave roof not visible. West tower, short nave, south porch, small chancel. West tower: C15. 2 stages on low moulded plinth, with battlements above moulded string. Integral north-west and south- west angle buttresses. Trefoil-headed, hollow chamfered louvred light to each side of belfry. Another, smaller, with square head, hollow spandrels and hoodmould towards base of upper stage to west. West window of two trefoil- headed lights with renewed mullion, no opening between lights and no voussoirs or hoodmould. Corbel head at what would have been apex. Moulded 2-centred arched west doorway with hoodmould. Nave: C12. South elevation: no visible plinth. Battlemented without string. 2 buttresses. C15 window above porch of 2 cinquefoiled lights with cavetto mullion and square head, C19 two-light window towards east, pointed, with two trefoil-headed lights,trefoil and hoodmould. South porch: said to be dated 526. Stone, with cement-rendered quoins. Round-arched outer architrave with decorative cast-iron gate. Inner doorway C12, with fat roll, chevron, and outer billet moulding. Stone face affixed towards apex. Square moulded abaci to single shaft either side with scalloped cushion capitals and slightly moulded bases. Doorway infilled with 3-centred arched stone inner architrave. Chancel: C12. Galleted stone. No plinth. Gabled. Traces of blocked south-west window with trefoiled head. C19 east window. Short narrow C12 north window with rounded head formed from single stone. Nave: north elevation: moulded plinth continuous with that of tower. Battlements above chamfered string. Central C19 north window. Interior: Structure: aisle-less nave. No chancel arch. C13 pointed tower arch with chamfered jambs and imposts. Roof: crown-post roof of 1878 to chancel, unobtrusively stencilled. Shallow-pitched C19 king-post roof to nave. Fittings: Royal Arms of George III to south wall of nave, unusually signed, "J. Marten Tenterden Pinxt". Oval text board. Bell, probably late C14, standing in north-east corner of nave, ascribed to John Danyell of London (Anne Roper, The Church of All Saints,Burmarsh, 1980). Reredos 1897-1900, carved in Oberammergau. (J, Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).

Listing NGR: TR0949831932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
175505
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)
Roper, A, The Church of All Saints Burmarsh, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09228/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Vernon Mount. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].