Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061360.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2021 at 20:29:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29148 81040


1900/0/10298 KINGLY STREET 08-JUL-02 33 The Clachan Public House


Public House, 1898, designer unknown. Red brick with extensive pale cream limestone dressings, grey granite facing to lower part of ground floor facades, copper-sheathed roof to angle turret. EXTERIOR: Exuberant 'Free Renaissance' exterior on corner site, of three storeys with attic. Three bay main west elevation. Ground floor with central entrance comprising paired glazed doors set between granite pilasters with stylized Ionic capitals; large window to left over sloping granite dado; former angled entrance lobby to right, with mosaic decoration to threshold spelling out pub's name, and tiled decoration to wall. All glass to ground floor appears to be of a modern date and is plain: two or three-pane overlights to doors and windows, with narrow glazing bars. Fascia band at first floor level set between moulded consoles. First floor west elevation with single window over central entrance, six-light mullioned windows either side, all with flanking stylized Ionic capitals; heavy keystones over centres of side windows set against panels of acanthus decoration which form aprons to second floor side windows; these are paired arched casement windows with keystones, set between pilasters, with a pair of carved heads set against a foliate background in the spandrels above. The similar but single central window has lozenge decoration to the apron. Balustrade to parapet; mansard roof to attic with a pair of dormer windows flanking a projecting oval window with keystone, flanking scrolls and pediment. Entrance at north-west corner: arched doorway set between pilasters; pub name in affixed metal letters against acanthus leaf decoration above, with date of 1898 over. Projecting corner turret above in the French Renaissance style, with acanthus leaf decoration to oriel base, triple rectangular windows set between pilasters at second floor level, triple windows to top level beneath dentil cornice; domed roof with tall finial. North elevation similar to west, but with two storey bay at east end with triple doors, set beneath a framed inscription panel bearing the pub's name; part-concealed mosaic to threshold with pub's name inside door. INTERIOR: retains numerous fittings of note. Bar counter and elaborate back bar of mahogany, with cut glass mirror enrichment, in centre of ground floor. Raised snug at rear. Cast iron columns carry centre of coffered ceiling, which is covered with raised decoration. Stairs to first floor with square moulded balusters. First floor front room retains chimneypiece, panelled dado, raised decoration to ceiling. Upper floors, formerly publican's accommodation, retain numerous original fittings such as staircase, joinery, fireplaces. HISTORY: a good example of a Late Victorian 'Gin Palace', retaining its principal bar fixtures. Its elaborate decoration reflects its West End location and the heated competition between rival pubs for custom at this time. A 'clachan' is the Gaelic for a hamlet.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].