CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1061529
Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ARNESBY LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061529 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 02:22:19.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ARNESBY LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Harborough (District Authority)
Parish: Peatling Magna
National Grid Reference: SP 59482 92462
PEATLING MAGNA ARNESBY LANE (South Side) Church of All Saints
GV I Parish Church. Dateable features are largely C13, and fabric seems largely a single build though with several examples of Perpendicular work, and restoration work of 1906, conservative in character. Small rubble or cobble construction with ashlar dressings. Leaded nave roof, Welsh slate to chancel. West tower and spire, nave and chancel. Massive 3 stage tower on ashlar plinth, with angle buttresses. The stages are each recessed slightly. Lancet window to west, and in first stage paired bell chamber lights with central shaft and plate tracery. Corbel table above. Embattled parapet with thin angle pinnacles. Recessed spires with two tiers of lucarnes. South nave wall has renewed plate tracery light to south west, simple chamfered arched doorway and two Early English windows, the intersecting tracery forming two and three lights, with hood moulds. Continuous sill band. Central buttress. Steep pitch of former nave roof visible in outline in east wall of tower. Buttressed chancel has plate tracery to south-west window and a Perpendicular window of 3 principal lights with smaller upper trefoiled lights in chamfered segmental headed arch. East wall seems to be a rebuild and is mostly window:- 5 lancets, c.1906. Steeply arched and chamfered Priest's door to north and Perpendicular window of 2 principal lights with smaller upper lights. North nave windows are also Perpendicular of 2 and 3 lights, set beneath a square headed stilted hood mould. North porch added c.1906, the doorway has exaggerated ogivally arched head and chamfered jambs. The door itself may be C18 or Cl9 and consists of paired panelled doors. Inside, the restoration involved removal of all plasterwork in the "scrape" tradition. Continuous triple chamfer to tower arch: the large space beneath the tower houses substantial fragments of a C14 screen with moulded ribs and a dentilled rail above the lower panels, some of which have an applied tracery decoration. C16 balusters added. More panelling of C17 with turned balusters on west and north walls. Nave roof is C15; a fine example of local woodcarving tradition. Shallow pitch with moulded tie-beams, purlins and ridge piece.. Each tie has central bosses carved exuberantly with grinning heads, heavy foliage etc. Screen wall to chancel and chancel arch are Victorian so is the boarded wagon roof of the chancel. Tomb recess in north wall with wide shallow trefoiled arch deeply moulded, with dogtooth hood mould. It is capped by a coat of arms. In front of it, but unrelated, a tomb chest of 1614. Alabaster, in memory of William Jervis and his two wives, Anne and Frances. The 3 figures are represented as incised effigies on the slab, which is heavily worked all over. The 5 children of Anne and William are represented on the base; they are carved as frontal figures, their proportions almost grotesquely distorted, but in very detailed rendering of costume etc. Behind this, to the east, is another tomb chest, from the same school, this is dated 1597 in memory of William and Catherine Jervis and they again appear richly detailed in continuous patterning incised on the slab. William lived to be 94, and fathered a great many children who are again represented as frontal figures on two sides of the base. Facing west, are 4 shrouded children flanking a male figure (perhaps the father or an elder son) and on the south side 4 boys, a man, 3 girls, a woman and 2 shrouded figures. Again the proportions are distorted but no detail is spared. To the south a wall tomb only 4 years later than the latest of these but in a vastly different style. 2 ample figures kneel in a predella with an inscription recording their numerous virtues. They are William Jervis, d.1618 whom it commemorates, and Elizabeth his wife who commissioned it. Fragments of medieval encaustic tiles in the chancel and of C14 stained glass in a north window; 2 angels play a harp and a trumpet. Stained glass to south nave window of 1907. Pulpit is of 1685, handsomely panelled with sounding board. Series of early C17 benches (one is dated 1604). The bench ends have concave triangular tops with finials and round arched recessed panels with geometric ornamentation reminiscent of strapwork. One is also carved with linen-fold on its inner face. 2 earlier and rougher benches survive at the west of the church. C13 font modified C19 by the addition of marble shafts to support massive undecorated basin.
Listing NGR: SP5948292462
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 191193
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing