CULVERTHORPE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1061793

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1990

Statutory Address: CULVERTHORPE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CULVERTHORPE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 16:20:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CULVERTHORPE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Culverthorpe and Kelby

National Grid Reference: TF 02015 40374

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 04 SW CULVERTHORPE AND KELBY CULVERTHORPE PARK

4/32 Culverthorpe Hall (formerly listed with flanking subsidiary 23.11.51 buildings)

G.V. I

Country house. Late C17, c.1700, 1734-40. Built for the Newton family. William and Edward Stanton probably carried out the c1700 alterations and Robert Morris may have designed the c. 1735 alterations for Sir Michael Newton. Limestone ashlar, slate roofs with lead dressings. Square plan of 5 bays with added flanking wings. The main C17 block is of 3 storeys with basement, hipped roof with 2 large panelled ashlar ridge stacks with moulded cornices. There is a tall chamfered plinth, plain ground floor cill band and a dentillated cornice at third floor level marking the original eaves before the attic storey was added in the C18. The attic storey has a plain parapet supporting orbs. The service basement contains single tripartite plain sashes to either end beneath semi circular arches and pairs of glazing bar sashes in plain ashlar surrounds to the centre. The central semi circular headed glazed door is approached up a flight of 12 steps with ashlar handrails. The door has a moulded head and imposts with a keyblock bearing a face mask. It is set in an advanced porch with paired Ionic pillars supporting a bucrania frieze, dentillated cornice and open balustrade. To either side of the door are single semi circular headed niches containing C19 lamps with single paterae above. To either side are pairs of glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves and plain pediments supported on scrolled brackets. To first floor are 5 similar windows with architraves and bracketed cornices. The central window has a deeply swept surround. In the attic storey are 5 small square plain sashes, each having moulded and eared architraves and plain aprons. To either side of the main block are added wings, also with plinths, dentillated cornices and balustrades. Each has a hipped roof and a single obelisk stack with plain bands. At their centres are single glazing bar Venetian windows with Ionic pilasters and dummy balustrades. Above Bye circular Classical panels, now much weathered. The sides of the wings are of 2 storeys and 4 bays, glazing bar sashes to each floor with moulded architraves and bracketed cornices. Also there are pairs of Ionic pilasters which mark the position of the intended wings. The garden front has glazing bar sashes in moulded architraves, those to the ground floor also have moulded cornices. At the centre is a boldly projecting stair bay of c.1700 with rusticated quoins, bracketed cornice and parapet containing a balustraded central opening and supporting obelisk finials. The central glazed door has a fluted Ionic surround, a moulded cornice and is approached up 4 ashlar steps. Above is a tall glazing bar sash stair light with scrolled base, pendant fruit swags and a panel of flowers and fruit above. Interior retains a fine dog leg staircase of c.1700 with 3 twisted balusters to each tread, panelled risers and a spacious open well. The prinicipal hall has a tripartite plan which is divided by 2 screens of paired fluted Corinthian columns. There is a richly dentillated cornice, full height raised and fielded panelling and 6 panelled doors. In the drawing room is a finely panelled and corniced ceiling, full height panelling, acanthus swags and a handsome white marble chimneypiece with mask, draperies, scallops and formal wreaths. The dining room has a short section of screen matching that of the hall together with full height panelling and elaborately decorated cornices and overdoors. The present service stair belongs to the late C17 house, and has reset interlacing openwork panels. Source, Country Life 15.9.23

Listing NGR: TF0201540374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 192667

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 15 September, (1923)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,

End of official listing