Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061836.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:45:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
Burton Pedwardine
National Grid Reference:
TF 11935 42097


BURTON PEDWARDINE MAIN STREET TF 14 SW (south side) 6/16 Church of St. Andrew 1/2/67 II

Parish church. Cll, C12, C13, C14, rebuilt apart from north transept 1870-1 by Charles Kirk. Limestone ashlar, slate roofs. Nave with bellcote, chancel, north transept. West wall of nave has a 3 light window with cusped geometric tracery to the head. At the gable is a square bellcote with openwork sides and crocketted pinnacle. In the north nave wall are 3 lancets with trefoil heads to the lights and wave moulded surrounds. In the west wall of the north transept is a blocked C13 arch. Otherwise the transept has stepped C14 setback buttresses with niches and crocketted ogee canopies. The north window is of 3 lights with C19 geometric tracery. In the east wall is a 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a pointed wave moulded surround. C19 chancel east window of 3 lights with geometric tracery. The 2 windows on the south side of the nave match those to the north, and there is a C19 pointed moulded doorway with angle shafts having annular capitals. Interior: C19 pointed chancel arch with engaged shafted reveals, annular capitals and double chamfered head. In the sanctuary is a plain stone side bench supported on stone brackets, and on the north side is a section of large reused C14 moulded octagonal pillar base with engaged shafts. In the north wall of the chancel is a chamfered 4 centred arched doorway to the north transept. Fittings: C19 circular tapering tub font. In the west wall of the nave are set 5 sections of C10 two strand interlace carving, a voluted Cll capital and a section of 'jews harp' moulded hood. Also 2 early C13 hobnail decorated octagonal capitals. Monuments: in the north wall of the north transept is a C14 recess with moulded head and human head stops containing the ledger slab to Alis de Pedwardyn, d.1330, showing head of deceased flanked by shields and marginal inscription. On the east wall a corbel supports a rectangular limestone plaque to William Yorke, d.1689, with guilloched borders. On the west wall a fine alabaster monument to Sir Thomas Horseman, d.1610. A fine sideboard tomb with deceased lying in full plate armour, head on a cushion, with beneath a plain pilastered tomb chest with gadrooned top and above a pair of semi-circular arches over inscription panels, flanked by single Corinthian columns supporting a plain entablature with armorial escutcheon.

Listing NGR: TF1193542097


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05638/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].