CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1061911
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061911 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 04:28:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Nocton
National Grid Reference:
TF 06067 64125

Details

TF 06 SE 5/58

NOCTON, THE GREEN (south side), CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

23/8/67

II*

Parish Church. 1862 designed by Sir G G Scott for the Countess of Ripon. Ancaster stone ashlar with polychromiatic ashlar dressings, plain tile ridge roof. North-west tower, nave, south aisle, chancel, vestry and south porch. Double chamfered plinth with moulded band. Ashlar coped gables with moulded kneelers and finials. Angle buttresses. West front has large nave window, 2 pairs of lancets topped with circular foil incorporated under continuous hoodmould. Simpler geometric tracery window in tower. Three storey square tower with angle buttresses, octagonal bell chamber and octagonal spire 130 ft high. North front has deeply recessed pointed doorway, Y-tracery window above. Four tall geometric tracery bell openings above and 4 lucarnes in spire. Nave has 3 geometric plate tracery windows under flush relieving arches. Two smaller similar windows to chancel with hoodmoulds. East front has another similar to south chancel aisle, and larger 5-light geometric tracery window flanked by buttresses topped with crochetted pinnacles. South gable porch has angle buttresses with canopied niches containing statues of the Apostles. Pointed recessed openings has mandala-shaped niche above containing statue of Christ. South aisle has moulded ashlar coped parapet, and lead roof. Four clerestory lancets are set into continuous blind arcade. Three geometric plate tracery windows below. Pair of similar windows to vestry and chancel aisle. Interior has 4-bay arcade with moulded capitals. Paintings on chancel walls, over chancel arch and west window, painted dado on nave north wall. Marble and alabaster reredos with carved scenes of the Crucifixion, the Deposition and the Entombment. Square Caen stone font on green marble columns. Caen, Ancaster and red clansfield stone pulpit also on green marble columns. Stain glass by Calyton and Bell. Painted wooden roofs, contemporary wooden pews and choir stalls. Iron alter rail. Encaustic tiled throughout. Large monument 1680, possibly by William Stanton, to Sir Qn Ellys; 1816 to Robert, Earl of Buckinghamshire; 1846 to Rev H L Herbert; 1859 designed by Sir G G Scott, carved by Matthew Noble to first Earl of Ripon.

Listing NGR: TF0606764125

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192333
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/14597/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].