Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062312.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:04:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
Little Ponton and Stroxton
National Grid Reference:
SK 92487 32234


LITTLE PONTON AND CHURCH LANE SK 93 SW STROXTON (north east side) 4/107 Church of 20.9.66 St. Guthlac

G.V. I

Parish church. Cll, C13, C14, C15, 1657, north aisle added 1856. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, ashlar, plain tiled, slate and stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle and vestry. The west end of the nave has a coursed limestone rubble plinth and ashlar gable wall with chamfered offset. The C19 2 light window has above a shouldered opening containing a single bell. To either side and above are carved human head corbels. In the gable is the raised inscription "Anno D 1657". The squared limestone rubble and slate roofed north aisle has a single C19 lancet and a pair of 2 light C19 windows with cusped heads to the lights and trefoils over in late C13 style. The vestry has a pair of lancets to the north side. The east window is of 3 lights with shallow 4 centred head, in original C15 surround with hood mould and human head label stops, but with C19 tracery. Above are 2 trefoil heads and pierced roundel under a pointed hood mould. The chancel in coursed limestone rubble with stone slate roof has a single late C13 2 light window with cusped heads to the lights and trefoil over, and a single plain lancet. The south wall of the plain tiled nave has a single blocked pointedarch to a former south aisle with an inserted C15 3 light window, largely recut C19. Above the blocking to the east a blank rectangular opening. Beyond the porch the rebuilding in ashlar of the west end can be clearly seen, and a C17 2 light cross mullioned window has cusped heads to the transoms and chamfered mullions. The gabled south porch has a double chamfered pointed opening with reset C12 imposts, and side benches. The early C14 inner doorway has roll moulded pointed surround, hood mould with human head stops. Above the door a 2 light pointed headed window. Interior. C19. 3 bay north arcade with double chamfered round arches, circular piers and responds. Blocked C14 single bay south chapel arch, recut C19. Mid Cll chancel arch with low roll moulded rounded arch, square cut responds with angle shafts having crudely carved decorated capitals with scrolls and roll moulded run out imposts. From north aisle to vestry a C19 archway. In the chancel a C19 archway to organ chamber, a pointed headed aumbry and piscina with trefoil head in south wall. On the west wall a C14 octagonal statue bracket with pendant finial. The C19 nave roof is supported on re-used corbels. The south-westernmost one is a re-used piece of Anglo Saxon interlace. Above the chancel arch C19 painting onto the stonework. All fittings including the font are C19. In the chancel 2 marble wall plaques. c.1740. To members of the Daye family and 2 further early C19 plaques to the Pennyman and Towne families. In the south wall of the chancel is an inscribed stone slab to William Thorold, d.l725, and above the Thorold coat of arms. Coat of arms and slab have stone bolection mouldings. Little Ponton Hall was probably built for this Thorold. This building is listed Grade I because of its fine Saxo-Norman chancel arch.

Listing NGR: SK9248732234


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07417/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].