CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL, EAST END
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062653 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:32:17.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL, EAST END
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 12341 12552
TF 11 SW LANGTOFT EAST END
6/99 Church of 30.10.68 St. Michael
Parish church. Early C13, C13, C14, C15, 1737, 1780, 1859. Coursed and squared limestone rubble and ashlar, lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch, south and north chapels. Tall 3 stage C13 ashlar tower, offset to north side, having clasping buttresses, chamfered string courses, plain corbelled parapet, set back spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. The belfry stage has tall paired C14 ogee headed lights with quatrefoils in moulded surrounds. The south side has a blocked chamfered arch with human head stops now containing a planked door and window and to first floor a segmental headed opening. In the west side are single lancets to the lower stages, and a single light to the middle stage on the north side. The C14 coursed limestone rubble with lead roofs north aisle and nave have fleuron friezes and embattled parapets. The aisle and clerestorey have large 3 light panel traceried windows, 3 below and 4 above. Also a pointed and chamfered C13 doorway. The lead rainwater hoppers to nave roof are dated 1737 and 1780. C19 vestry with 2 lancets to the north side. In the north wall of the chancel which has a Collyweston slate roof is a 3 light late C13 window. Chancel east wall has 3 stepped C19 lancets. The south wall has 3 tall C14 3 light windows with cusped heads to the lights, square surrounds and human head stops. The south aisle and clerestorey match those to the north. The south porch has been refronted mid C18 with ashlar classical front comprising plain frieze supported on paired Doric columns in antis. Semi-circular doorway has moulded imposts and a jewelled keyblock. Side benches. C14 inner door with continuously moulded surround and hood. In the west wall of the nave is a very large transomed 5 light C15 panel traceried window with cusping. Below a continuously moulded doorway and hood and in the south aisle west wall a smaller 3 light window also panel traceried. Interior. 4 bay C13 nave arcades with quatrefoil piers, circular abaci, double chamfered arches, the responds on the north side have foliate capitals. The nave tie beam roof is C16 with moulded principals, curved braces to wall posts with corbels with human demi figures. In the east wall of the north aisle an early C13 lancet above a chamfered arch matching that to the south. Also in the south aisle a pointed and chamfered piscina. C13 chancel arch, chamfered and roll moulded with annular capitals. To either side are doorways to the rood loft. The chancel has 2 double chamfered C13 arches to the north and one to the south. Beyond to the south are 2 C14 arches with quatrefoil pier, foliate capitals and responds, one incorporating a grotesque. In the eastern respond is a trefoiled piscina with a crocketed gablette. In the south chapel is a further similar piscina in the south wall. In the north wall of the chancel is a C14 aumbry with arched continuously moulded surround and in the vestry can be seen a further trefoil headed piscina and in the west wall a round headed single chamfered window, probably C12. The chancel has a C14 arch braced roof on embattled corbels with brattished wall plate with fleurons, moulded principals and bosses. The church retains much of its C16 clear glass. Fittings. Fine late C17 octagonal pulpit with ogee base to twisted stem, fluted angle pilasters and moulded cornice with acanthus scrolls. The raised and fielded panels have tarsia infill bearing Sacred Monogram. The inlaid tester also with scrolled and dentillated frieze is reused as a table in the south aisle. In the nave a large ornate chandelier with 3 tiers of candle holders dated 1759. The C18 font has octagonal bowl with shallow fluted base supported on a shaped fluted and gadrooned stem. Monuments. In the chancel a small wall plaque to Elizabeth Moulsworth, d.1618. Kneeling figure in arched alabaster surround with escutcheon. On the north side an ashlar plaque with open pediment and urn on Composite pilasters to John Headley, d.1755. In the chancel floor a brass plaque in a black marble slab to Sarah Walcot, d.1651. In the south chapel a pair of matching wall plaques in marble having segmental open pediments with escutcheons supported on fluted Corinthian columns. Draped inscription panels, one to William Hyde, d.1703, and the other to William Hyde Senior who d.1694. In the west wall of the porch an ashlar plaque to Dorothy Nicholas, d.1619.
Listing NGR: TF1234212555
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing