CHURCH OF ST. FAITH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1062675
Date first listed:
30-Oct-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. FAITH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. FAITH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:41:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. FAITH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Braceborough and Wilsthorpe
National Grid Reference:
TF 09225 13647

Details

TF 01 SE BRACEBOROUGH WILSTHORPE AND WILSTHORPE 5/53 Church of St. Faith 30.10.68

- II*

Parish church. 1715, restored and altered by James Fowler, 1869. Ashlar, Collyweston and lead roofs. Nave, western upper tower and spire, chancel, south vestry. Moulded plinth, frieze, cornice. The west end has fluted angle pilasters, to a triglyph frieze with guttae, pierced parapet with semi-circular headed arches, and angle obelisks on the base of which is the date 1715. The tower has rusticated fluted quoins and a slate hung C19 broach spire. To each side is a single 2 light windowwith annular mid shaft and foliate decoration key and impost blocks to the semi-circular arched surround and circular holes to the tympanum. Double 6 panelled doors with wooden fan above set in a moulded elliptical headed arch, to either side are pilasters with moulded imposts supporting paired scrolled brackets to a segmental open pediment. Above a sexfoil window in a moulded surround. The nave side walls have 4 two light Cl9 windows with annular shafts and cinquefoils set in the early C18 semi-circular headed moulded architraves with key and impost blocks. The chancel is blank on the sides but has rusticated quoins. In the east end is a 3 light C19 window also in an earlier semi-circular headed surround. On the south side an added vestry in Norman style with 2 light window in south side. Interior. Western gallery in the base of the tower, semi-circular headed arch to first floor, with barley sugar balusters to handrail. The nave roof has chamfered and moulded principals supported on scrolled wooden corbels. Chancel arch is semi-circular with moulded imposts and jewelled keystone. In the south wall a Norman style round headed vestry doorway with plain imposts, and the chancel roof is supported on stone corbels decorated with palmettes in Romanesque style. Fittings. Handsome barley sugar twist communion rails with moulded handrail. All other fittings are C19 except for the moulded and fluted shallow octagonal font which has an octagonal stem to a tapering square base. Monuments. In the sanctuary a late C13 but recut effigy of a knight in chain mail with decorated surcourt, feet resting on a dog. On the south wall of the nave a marble wall plaque to Curtis family, 1759, by E. Bingham of Peterborough, a pediment, angels, books and a rectangular inscription panel with escutcheon beneath.

Listing NGR: TF0922513647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194436
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12420/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].