CHURCH OF ST MEDARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1062772
Date first listed:
30-Oct-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MEDARD, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MEDARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062772.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 12:18:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MEDARD, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Bytham
National Grid Reference:
TF 01293 18036

Details

LITTLE BYTHAM HIGH STREET TF 0l NW (north side)

9/195 church of St Medard (formerly 30.10.68 listed as Church of St Medardus)

G.V. I

Parish church. C10, C12, C13, C14, C15, 1590, 1875. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, nave, south aisle and porch, chancel. The early C13 3 stage tower has an offset to belfry stage and C15 embattled parapet, with pinnacles, frieze and gargoyles, with C14 recessed spire having 4 gabled 2 light lucarnes to lower stage and above similar single lights. In the west wall single lancets to the lower stages and to the belfry paired lights having octagonal shafts with stiff leaf capitals and moulded round arched surround. In the north nave wall a late C12 door with angle shafts, roll moulded opening with dogtooth and continuously moulded lozenge head with dogtoothed hood terminating in beasts' heads. Above, a reset stone with dancing human figure. Otherwise there are 2 early C15 3 light windows with cusped heads and panel tracery, and to the east a similar 2 light window. The C16 chancel east window is of 5 tall lights with concave chamfered 4 centred arched surround. The chancel south wall has an early C12 doorway with roll moulded surround, fillets and an outer flat order of drip carved ornament. The tympanum has low relief billet moulding, further chip carving and at the centre a deep circular recess flanked by roundels containing carvings of birds. The recess reputedly contained a relic of St. Medard to whom the church is dedicated. Immediately to the west is a 2 light C13 squint. The south eastern nave quoin is C10 and of long and short work. The late C13 east window to south aisle has intersecting tracery with moulded surround and hood and in the south wall are 3 C13 3 light windows with triangular moulded heads and hoods. The gabled early C13 south porch has rounded reveals to the outer doorway with collared shafts, annular capitals supporting a single chamfered arch. The inner moulded doorway is C15. Interior. The C12 3 bay south arcade has circular shafts, annular capitals, 2 with hobnail decoration, supporting single chamfered and stepped arches. The C12 tower arch has plain imposts and chamfered hood, terminating in beast heads. Above a round headed doorway. In the north wall of the nave is a pair of C13 niches with trilobed heads, surmounted by a further niche having an elaborately crocketed and floriated C14 gabled canopy. In the south aisle is a C13 piscina with side shafts and moulded trefoil head. C13 chancel arch. Single chamfered order, octagonal responds. In the chancel north wall a handsome early C14 canopied tomb recess with moulded arch, ballflower gable with crockets, flanked by crocketed gabled pinnacles with human heads. Late C19 double piscina in the south wall and behind the altar a contemporary reredos having central painted panel in ashlar frame. Fittings. 4 C14 bench ends, 2 with poppyheads. C14 font with octagonal bowl and shaft, with sacred monogram painted onto it. Stone base of pulpit is dated 1590 and inscribed "Orate et Arate" and "Pray and Plough". All other fittings are C19.

Listing NGR: TF0129318045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194169
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00827/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H Schofield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].