- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HOLYWELL HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062833 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 19:28:04.
- Statutory Address:
- HOLYWELL HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- Careby Aunby and Holywell
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 99995 16046
CAREBY, AUNBY HOLYWELL
SK 91 NE AND TF 0l NW AND HOLYWELL
8/39 AND 9/39 Holywell Hall
6.5.52 G.V. II*
Country house. C17, 1732 and early C19. Ashlar,coursed limestone rubble, hipped and ridged slate roofs having raised stone coped gables, many ridge and wall ashlar stacks. East front, early C19, comprising 2 storey, 3 bay ashlar front, the middle bay recessed, plinth, cill band and cornice, central tripartite door, with Tuscan portico in antis, with dentillated frieze. Harebell pendants and acanthus leaves to either side of the door. The portico is flanked by single tripartite windows, glazing bar sashes, divided by slender colonettes, supporting plain frieze with blank segmental head. To first floor 3 glazing bar sashes. The south front of 6 bays has 6 tall glazing bar sashes to ground floor with blank recessed panels above, and 6 smaller glazing bar sashes to first floor on cill band. The west wing is C17 in origin, restored C18 but retaining deep, steeply pitched roof. Now 2 storeys plus attic with to the south end a tripartite doorway with square columns and segmental over arch with above a glazing bar sash and 2 light casement. Irregular 5 bay south front with a half glazed door in plain advanced ashlar surround flanked by pairs of windows with similar surrounds and to the first floor 2 similar windows and 3 with plain ashlar surrounds. In the north rear wall is an early C17 4 centred moulded archway with cornice now containing a C18 6 panel door. To the north is a service wing of c.1760 of 6 bays, on the ground floor 2 panelled doorways, that to the right with a rusticated surround and 4 horizontal glazing bar sashes with stepped keyblocks. Above are 4 Diocletian windows with keyblocks. Interior has 2 scagliola plaster fireplaces, moulded cornice and urns. Ornate gilded Greek cornice, with central fluted paterae. 6 panelled doors with fluted surrounds, angle paterae. Full shutters. The rear room has low relief carving of a lamp on central plaque. Fluted door surrounds, moulded acanthus ceiling cornice, fluted paterae surrounded by mythological plaster roundels. The stair hall, remodelled early C19, with Ionic columns in antis to tripartite approach. Imperial stair with moulded handrail with delicate knopped and fluted balusters arranged 3 to a tread, with scrolled open string. Oval top traceried Adam style top light. Moulded cornice with harebell frieze. Circular wall plaques with military trophies and swags. Holywell Hall was the seat of the Reynardson family, and the C17 house was altered and extended after the marriage of Samuel Reynardson in 1732.
Listing NGR: SK9999516046
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing