FISHING TEMPLE IN GROUNDS OF HOLYWELL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1062834

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: FISHING TEMPLE IN GROUNDS OF HOLYWELL HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FISHING TEMPLE IN GROUNDS OF HOLYWELL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 09:33:59.

Location

Statutory Address: FISHING TEMPLE IN GROUNDS OF HOLYWELL HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Careby Aunby and Holywell

National Grid Reference: SK 99919 15931

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAREBY, AUNBY HOLYWELL SK 91 NE AND HOLYWELL

8/41 Fishing Temple in grounds of 30.10.68 Holywell Hall (formerly listed as garden temple)

G.V. II*

Garden temple. c.1732. Ashlar, hipped slate roof with lead dressings. Single storey, 5 bay front having plinth, rusticated quoins, moulded cornice, the middle 3 bays are slightly advanced and pedimented in form of a Doric portico flanked by single glazing bar sashes with stepped keyblocks. In the central pediment is an oval plaque bearing a male head in profile. The recessed central open chamber has double 6 panelled doors in rusticated surrounds with stepped keyblocks in the side..walls. The side chambers retain limestone diamond flags, dado rails and cornices. This temple is identical to one designed by James Gibbs at Hackwood and published in his Book of Architecture in 1728.

Listing NGR: SK9991915931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 194016

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gibbs, J, Book of Architecture, (1728)

End of official listing