CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1063011
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063011.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:07:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Beesby with Saleby
National Grid Reference:
TF 45786 78762

Details

SALEBY WITH THORESTHORPE CHURCH LANE TF 47 NE (north side) 3/75 Church of 9-3-67 St. Margaret

G.V. II

Parish church. 1850 by Stephen Lewin. Restored 1958. Buff brick with ashlar dressings, slate roofs, stone coped. Nave with western bellcote, south aisle, chancel, south porch. The 3 light west window has intersecting tracery with a trefoil lancet to the south. The gabled bellcote has 2 trefoil headed arches with quatrefoil over. In the north wall are 3 paired lights with geometrical tracery subdivided by stepped buttresses, and in the chancel is a similar 2 light window. The east window is of 3 lights, the hood mould has portrait human head stops. The south wall of the chancel has a 2 light pointed window. To the south wall of the aisle are 2 reticulated 2 light windows. The gabled south porch has a double chamfered outer doorway with moulded hood and a single chamfered inner doorway. Interior. C19 3 bay south arcade with octagonal shafts and triple chamfered arches. Chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds and human head corbels. In the chancel a pointed doorway in the south wall. All fittings are C19 including the octagonal font, carved in a C15 style. The 3 bay rood screen and rood are C20. In the chancel north wall an arched recess contains a full length effigy of a knight in chain mail and surcoat. Apparently to Sir William de Hardreshull d.1303. Also in the chancel floor a small brass to George Harrington, d.1556, who lies in St. Dunstans Church, London, and a further one inscribed "to John Haryington of Wickham, in the county of Lincoln, who built this chapel, 1592, being lord and patron of Salebie and lieth in St. Sepulchre's Church, London and died 12th May, 1599," both bearing arms and helms. At the east end of the chancel is the old datestone of the original chapel, bearing the Haryington Arms and dated "1591".

Listing NGR: TF4578678762

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195598
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11075/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].