CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063026.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 04:49:01.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 45554 76069
ALFORD CHURCH STREET
TF 4476-4576 (north side)
20-5-53 St. Wilfrid
Parish church. Mid C14, C15, c.1530, C17. Restoration c.1867 by Sir G.G. Scott. Coursed and squared greenstone, limestone dressings, stone slate roofs. Western tower, nave, aisles plus additional C19 north aisle, south porch with parvise, chancel, north chapel. The 4 stage tower was rebuilt 1525-1535, but part of the top stage and parapet are C19. Moulded plinth, 3 string courses, castellated parapet with pinnacles, stepped corner buttresses. The paired belfry lights have C19 cusped heads with quatrefoils and moulded hoods. The continuously moulded west doorway has a deeply sunken middle order. To first floor is a window of 3 lights, to the second a window of two lights, both with panelled tracery. The C19 north aisle has a west window of 4 lights. In the north wall are 3 further 3 light windows with flat heads, and a pointed doorway. The east window is of 4 lights. The north chapel has 2 recut reticulated windows and a pointed doorway, and in the east wall is a further reticulated window of 4 lights. The early C14 chancel has a reticulated window of 3 lights in the north wall, and 2 to the south, all with moulded hoods. The handsome contemporary east window is of 5 lights. All chancel windows are set in full height recessed openings. On the south side is a C14 low side window. The south aisle east window is of 3 lights with cusped intersecting tracery. In the south wall are 2 three light panel traceried windows, one with flat head, the other with triangular head. Beyond the south porch is a late C17 4 light mullioned and transomed window with cyma moulded cornice. The C16 gabled south porch is surmounted by a parvise room. It has moulded plinth, stepped corner buttresses, moulded parapet with pinnacles. The continuously moulded outer arch is 4 centred with moulded hood. The upper chamber is lit by single 3 light windows to the south and west, both with deep chamfered reveals. In the porch is a cambered doorway in the west wall leading to the parvise. The inner south doorway has engaged angle shafts with floriate capitals and a filleted roll moulded head, moulded hood with C19 stops. The door is contemporary with a design of panel tracery to the upper part, and an ogee headed wicket with early lock plate and latch. Interior. Nave arcades, C14, 4 bays, octagonal shafts with floriate capitals, double chamfered arches. The north western pier has plain octagonal moulded capital. The C16 tower arch has octagonal responds and triple chamfered arch. The C19 chancel arch has single chamfered order and reveals. The north aisle arcade is of 4 bays, added by Sir G. G. Scott in 1867, matching the nave. At the east end of the original north aisle is a C16 4 centred continuously moulded doorway to north chapel with above a 3 light panel traceried window. In the south aisle is a trefoil headed piscina. At the west end of nave the rood loft doorway and 4 turning steps survive. In the north wall of the chancel is a pair of C19 moulded arches to organ and vestry. In the south wall is a C14 triple sedilia. All fittings and font are C19 apart from the rood screen and pulpit. The late C14 screen is of 5 bays with pierced panel tracery in upper and lower parts with cusped ogee arches, bearing traces of original paint. Above is a C20 rood design by L. Bond. The richly decorated Jacobean pulpit panels remain with C20 base and steps. One panel is arched with grotesque figures and the other is in a panelled design. At the angles are fluted Ionic columns. In the chancel and north chapel north windows are panels of C14 stained glass decorated with foliage. The stained glass in the east window is by Sir Ninian Comper. In the chancel a large standing alabaster monument surrounded by its original wrought iron railings, to Sir Robert Christopher, d.1668, and wife, of Alford Manor House. Recumbent effigies, he in armour, hand on breast, back wall has eared plaque with broken segmental pediment and coat of arms. The corners of the tomb chest have swagged balusters, and the west end has a further coat of arms. Attributed, probably wrongly, to Edward Strong. In the south aisle is a scrolled cartouche wall monument, surmounted by a female bust, probably late C17, possibly a member of the Tiptoft family. In the nave is a ledger slab with full length portrait in low relief and black letter inscription to a priest, Richard de Watton, d.late C14. The church was rebuilt by William of Tothby on the site of the old church which was pulled down c.1350, and the North Chapel was founded as a chantry chapel by the Tothby family in 1396. The parvise was first used as a Grammar School, founded by Francis Spanning in 1566.
Listing NGR: TF4554876066
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing