Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063091.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2021 at 18:03:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 20941 81786


BENNIWORTH CHURCH LANE TF 18 SW (south side) 3/1 Church of St. Julian 14.9.66 G.V. II Parish church. Mid C12, mid C13, 1769, 1812, almost entirely rebuilt 1875 by James Fowler. Coursed greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, some ironstone rubble. Slate roofs with decorative red ridge tiles, stone coped gables and cross- finials. West tower, nave with north and south transepts, chancel with north vestry. 3 stage C12 west tower heavily restored in C19, with single stage clasping buttresses with plinth. C12 west door heavily restored in C19 with flattened round head with double chevroned inner order and soffit, single order of billet and outer hollow and roll partially overlapped by rich cusping. Outer plain rectangular jambs with moulded imposts, inner double chevroned jambs. Plank doors. Slit light above with round relieving arch. Moulded string course above and below slit light above. Bell stage with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with 2 round headed, narrow lights, each with hood mould. Moulded eaves, parapet and pyramidal slate roof with weathervane. North side of nave with lancet with hood mould. North transept of 1769 mostly rebuilt in 1875, with plinth and string course. North side with central 2 stage buttress with plinth and gable, flanked by single lancets with hood moulds and vesica with hood mould above. C19 north vestry with 2 light rectangular window. East doorway with Caernarvon head and plank door. Chancel of 1769 and 1812 mostly rebuilt in 1875. 2 stage angle buttresses flank east end with string course and 3 eastern lancets, that in centre, taller, each with hood mould. South side of chancel with plinth and moulded string course. 2 stage buttress flanked by single lancets, each with hood mould. Stone set to east of buttress inscribed "GPAC 26 1812". South transept of 1769 mostly rebuilt in 1875. East side with large pilaster buttress and string course. South side of transept with plinth, string course, central 2 stage buttress with moulded plinth and gable, flanked by single lancets each with hood mould. Vesica with hood mould, above. 2 plaques with workman's names inscribed in plaster recording restoration work in 1983. South side of nave with high C12 string course with narrow, round headed light below to east. Pair of lancets break through string course to west, both with hood moulds. Porch interior with C19 round headed ironstone doorway with chamfered imposts and rectangular jambs. Plank doors. C19 2 bay arcades to north and south transepts, each with central round pier, corbelled responds and double chamfered pointed heads. Mid C13 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head, polygonal responds, moulded capitals, large abaci and high plinths. C19 north vestry doorway with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, filleted hood mould with ornate label stops. C19 aumbry to east. South wall with high panelled seat set into wall beneath window. C19 reredos with cusped, traceried panels, C19 altar rail. C15 screen very heavily restored in 1905 with C15 moulded wood vertical supports and horizontal rail, C19 cusped traceried panels, re-using C15 rosettes, 6 C19 statues alternating with coats of arms. C19 wood cross above central archway. C19 wagon roofs, polygonal wooden pulpit and lecturn. C12 round font with interesecting arcading, very heavily restored in C19. Dr. G. C. Tennyson, father of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, was rector 1802-31, although absentee in later years. Source: Lincoln Public Library. Ross Manuscript. Volume X Wraggoe, p.56.

Listing NGR: TF2094181786


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].