MAUSOLEUM, WALL AND SCREEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1063361

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: MAUSOLEUM, WALL AND SCREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAUSOLEUM, WALL AND SCREEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:05:53.

Location

Statutory Address: MAUSOLEUM, WALL AND SCREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Great Limber

National Grid Reference: TA 13328 08901

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 10 NW GREAT LIMBER BROCKLESBY PARK Mausoleum, wall and 5/104 screen (Mausoleum 25-10-51 formerly listed with Brocklesby Hall in Brocklesby G.V. Civil Parish) I Mausoleum, wall and screen, 1792, by James Wyatt. Ashlar, copper dome, cast iron railings. The circular mausoleum stands on a low mound (traditionally a Roman burial place) and is surrounded by a low wall with railings. Moulded plinth, rusticated basement with cornice containing tomb chamber which has 3 round headed louvered openings with cast iron grilles and reliefs of sarcophagi and wreaths beneath. Access to the tomb chamber is afforded by a door set beneath the entrance platform, and opposite this is a recess above which is inscribed , 'James Wyatt Esq.r Arch.t'. Above are 12 fluted Roman Doric columns with paterae in the necking. They support a frieze of swags, paterae and bucrania, a dentillated cornice with, above,the great copper dome surrounded by a balustrade. On the top of the dome is an ashlar lantern, the sides of which are decorated with s- shaped flutes. The columns screen the circular cella which has a plinth and a plain string course. 4 hemispherical headed niches each contain free standing sarcophagi on apsidal ended panelled bases. The doorway on the north side is approached by a shallow flight of steps above a rusticated ramp which divides 2 flanking flights. The 2 leaved panelled door with moulded stone surround with a shallow cornice on scrolled brackets. Above is a tablet inscribed 'To the memory of Sophia, the wife of C. A. Pelham, who died Jan. XXV MDCCLXXXVI Aged XXXIII' with a moulded stone surround. To either side of the door are single hemispherical headed niches containing sarcophagi on panelled apsidal ended bases. The sarcophagi have 2 scrolls above, s- shaped flutes and a panel containing acanthus decoration, lions feet and guilloche moulded panels. On the soffit between the entablature and cella are square sunk panels containing paterae. Inside, 8 marble Corinthian columns arranged in pairs support a moulded entablature and a richly coffered domed roof, with at the centre a glazed and painted lantern, the paintings by Francis Eginton of ethereal angels. At the centre of the floor is a white marble statue of Sophia carved by Joseph Nollekens. She stands on a pedestal with s-shaped flutes. On a slate plinth on a floor of patterned marble inlaid with brass and surrounded by fine brass rails. There is a further outer frieze of Greek Key ornament. In 3 recesses are tombs commemorating members of the Pelham family. One to William Pelham d.1587 with a draped mourning putto and an undraped female figure. A second to Charles Pelham Esq., d.1763, with a sarcophagus and a female mourning figure regarding his portrait. A third to Francis Anderson Esq., d.1758, a sarcophagus with armorial and 2 mourning putti, one holding a ring of Eternity. On a wall plaque to the right of the door with semi circular pediment and scagliola work in panels is a list of Pelhams deceased since 1786 and buried in the mausoleum. The mausoleum is surrounded by a screen of sturdy iron railings interrupted by 12 ashlar neo classical sarcophagi, each with pediments, swags and rams heads.

Listing NGR: TA1332808902

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196651

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing