CAISTOR PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1063395
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
CAISTOR PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE, SOUTH DALE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAISTOR PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 04:32:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CAISTOR PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE, SOUTH DALE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Caistor
National Grid Reference:
TA 11824 01057

Details

TA 1001-1101 CAISTOR SOUTH DALE

9/84 Caistor Primary School and School House

II

Primary school, and house, built as the National School 1859-60 by Maugham & Fowler. Brick with ashlar dressings, gabled roofs with red and black banded plain tiles. One ridge and 2 wall stacks. Irregular seven bay front, school is single storey, the school house of 2 storeys. Near the centre of the facade is a chimney of shouldered form with a Star of David in dark header bricks above a decorative plaque bearing the motto'Caistor Parochial School 1859' and a recessed rectangular plaque inscribed, 'This school was erected by the friends of Mr James Green Dixon as a memorial of his long and valuable serivices in the cause of religious education, 1859'. To either side are single 5 light mullioned horizontally hinged casement windows in chamfered plain surrounds. To the left a wing projects to the road and in the gable is a 3 light window in the Gothick style with 3 roundels over, flanked by brickwork decorated with dark diapers made up of burnt black headers; the gable has a decorated verge. Behind a later C19 screen wall, the facade terminates in a pitched gabled doorway labelled 'Boys': this gable is also decorated with corbelled bricks. To the right of the central element, the porch for the Girls side is eaves on to the road and contains 2 Gothic style quatrefoil windows in its exposed side. Beyond is the gable end of the school house of 2 storeys with a plain C20 casement window in a C19 chamfered ashlar surround beneath relieving arch filled with tumbled brickwork. On the first floor is a further C20 casement with an earlier ashlar surround with a pointed relieving arch over a 'tympanum' of tumbled brickwork. The gable overhangs and is supported on scrolled timber brackets. There is a low brick wall with plinth and ashlar coping crowned with decorative ironwork before the buildings.

Listing NGR: TA1182401057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196633
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/16983/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].