CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1063400

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063400 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 06:05:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: West Rasen

National Grid Reference: TF 06495 89304

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 08 NE WEST RASEN CHURCH LANE

11/64 Church of 1-11-66 All Saints G.V. I

Parish Church; possibly C11, C12, C13, C14, C15, C18, 1829/30, 1860. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings and some limestone rubble, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestorey, south aisle and porch, chancel. The unbuttressed 2 stage C13 tower hasa simply chamfered plinth, a tall 1st stage with a plain string course, a moulded top string course with weathered gargoyles, a battlemented parapet with curious octagonal battlemented turrets to thecorners probably added in 1828. The south tower door is C14 with pointed arch and hood mould, with above a narrow slot. To all faces are inserted C14 2 light belfry openings, with ogee tracery and human mask label stops. The western face has a C19 lancet which could be a recutting of the original window, and a single slit above. The nave has a slate roof with stone coped bables and cross fleury. The north side has 2 stepped buttresses and a blocked 3 bay C12 arcade and aisle roof corbels are visible. Within the blocking of the central bay is a C15 4 centred headed window with reticulated tracery. The 4th blocked bay is C13, a taller pointed arch which clearly led to a transept. In this blocking is set a late C13 2 light trefoil headed window. The clerestorey has 4 flat headed late C14 windows with 2 lights and unusual reticulated tracery. The east end of the nave above the chancel roof shows that the nave roof was replaced and probably altered as the gable wall above the eaves line is totally limestone rubble. The chancel, which is ironstone with some limestone rubble has a lead roof with stonecoped gable and cross. It has a shallow chamfered plinth and 2 stepped buttresses. At its west end is a blocked C14 pointed arch to a former chantry chapel. The north window is a late C13 steeply pointed single light with trefoil decoration. The east window is C15, 5 light, repaired in C19, with a shallow 4 centred head, hood mould and label stops. The south side of the chancel has been restored in C19, and has a central priests door flanked by 2 two light windows in Early English style. Above the door is an inscribed tablet recording restoration work carried out in 1829 and 1830. The south aisle has a slate roof, and 3 C19 Early English style windows. The south aisle west window is C13 lancet. The south porch is C19 in Early English style with pointed opening with hood mould, single side lights and a south doorway in a plain chamfered pointed opening; a C14 head has been set in over the doorway. The porch has stone side benches. The south clerestorey is as the north side but has 3 panels of shield in quatrefoil decoration incorporated into its fabric. These could possibly have come from a parapet which was removed when the nave roof was replaced. Interior: The C13 3 bay south arcade has octagonal piers and east respond, the west respond is keeled, the arches are double chamfered. The C12 north arcade has clearly been inserted into the north wall giving this a possible Cll date. At the end of the 3 bays of the arcades there is much disturbance in the nave walls on both sides to below clerestorey level, again indicating that the nave has been lengthened. The C13 arch into the south transept, now incorporated into the aisle has a double chamfered arch and octagonal responds. The tower arch is C19 and in the west wall of the nave can be seen a change in build at high level probably indicating that the tower was added to an existing nave. The chancel arch has keeled responds, annular capitals and a steeply pointed double chamfered arch. A corbel support for the rood loft remains and to the south side beside the chancel arch is a blocked rood doorway. The nave roof is late C19, a fine C14 reconstruction with brattished tie beams, arch braced queen posts, moulded principals and wall plates. The chancel roof is mid C19. On the south chancel wall is a decorated bracket with figures of a Bishop, Priest and Layman. There is a C14 piscina which has had the base replaced by a large stone. The stained glass in the east window is early C19. The benches are early C15 with traceried panels of decoration to the ends and roll moulded back rails. The font is a plain octagonal C15 type. The former north aisle chapel was a chantry founded in 1373 for John Pouger and dissolved in 1548.

Listing NGR: TF0649489303

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196544

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing