CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063405.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:05:13.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 05978 07472
TA OO NE BIGBY MAIN STREET
4/2 Church of All Saints 1-11-66 I
Parish Church, C12, C13, C15, 1779, 1878 restoration. Coursed chalk and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. Late C13 west tower of 2 stages with a chamfered string course separating base from the belfry stage. Angles have stepped set back buttresses; the buttresses are ironstone whereas the common wall stones are coursed limestone rubble. In the west wall is a single 2 light triple chamfered window with restored quatrefoil, hood mould and human head label stops. 2 light belfry lights are also triple chamfered without hood moulds, plain tympana. Embattled top of tower in limestone, C15 parapet resting on crude late C13 corbels. North aisle west wall in coursed rubble, north wall is of brick, a restoration of 1779, and has 3 contemporary lancets and 3 repositioned stepped ironstone buttresses. The east wall contains a C19 3 light intersecting traceried window. The eastern part of the south chancel w-all is of ironstone and chalk squared coursed rubble with a fragment of a C13 string course near the east end. Further west is an in situ C13 pointed headed door with beyond much patching of the walling and the west end of the wall is actually in brick. At the east end of the chancel is an 1876 2 light window. Further west is a C13 2 light window with pointed heads and a tympanum pierced by a further arch head; mull ion and most of the reveals are C19, and the proportions look a bit odd, suggesting that the window was lengthened then to light the reader's desk. South aisle of coursed squared rubble with a chamfered string course. In the east wall is a C19 2 light window, and in the south wall are 2 C16 windows with flat heads and ogee headed lights, one of 3 lights, the other of 2, both much restored. West wall his a seemingly original though much restored late C13 2 light window with pointed heads, cusped quatrefoil and chamfered hood mould now ending in C19 human head label stops. South porch C19, of wood, framed construction, leaded lattice side lights and castellations and other decoration; a fine piece. South door is late C13 with chamfered reveals and dying sunk wave beneath a hollow hood mould with C19 Southwell style stops. Inside, the north and south arcades are of 3 bays, both late C13, with octagonal piers, capitals and abaci with double chamfered arches. It appears that these arcades may replace earlier ones since the west respond of the south arcade takes the form of an engaged round shaft with an annular capital of early C13 form, as does the lower (reused) element of the eastern respond of the north arcade. In the south aisle is a cusped trefoil headed ogee piscina, late C13, and at the east end is a headless figure of a seated Virgin and Child in limestone; a fine carving of the late C13. The tower arch is also late C13 with engaged octagonal jambs with facetted capitals and a deep triple chamfered arch. Chancel arch is C19 with 2 chamfers resting on wall shafts, all with Southwell style decoration. The chancel has Minton tiles, a painted reredos and, on the east wall, delicate terracotta floriate tiles. In the south wall of the chancel is a late C13 triple sedilia with free standing facetted shafts and plain arched heads. Roofs and fittings are all C19 apart fom the earlier of the 2 fonts. This font has a C14 octagonal bowl with recessed panels containing cusped trefoils, beneath is a moulded cordon above the C19 base. The font was apparently returned to the church in 1876. The second font is early C19 and of marble, oval in form with a swept stem, gadrooned decoration with a wrought iron mounted deal lid. Monuments: In the chancel a recumbent effigy of a lady, C14, feet resting on a dog, full dress with the wimple secured by a chin band, tightly fitting sleeves and little evidence of the recutting suggested by Pevsner. Further west is a small but fine brass to Elizabeth Skipwith, c.1520. On the north side of the chancel is an immense alabaster tomb to Sir Robert Tyrwhit'of Kettleby, d.1581, and his wife. A large tombchest supports the recumbent effigies, he armoured and resting on a paliasse, rolled at the base, and with a wildman or Woodwose at his feet, she with a lion at hers. Above is an architectural frame with Doric columns, cartouched plaque and momento mori surmounted by a shield of arms. Beneath, round the sides of the chest, 22 children appear as weepers for their parents. To the east is a second monument to Sir Robert Tyrwhit, d. 1617 and Lady Bridget Manners d. 1604. The 2 figures, she headless, kneel opposite each other, contained in a framework of single Corinthian pillars supporting an entablature surmounted by an achievement of arms. Between the figures was originally an altar, now demolished. On the south wall of the chancel is a fine brass to Edward Nayler, Rector, d. 1632, with kneeling figures of deceased with wife and children.
Listing NGR: TA0597407470
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing