CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1063424

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063424 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:52:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Nettleton

National Grid Reference: TA 11111 00196

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 10 SW NETTLETON CHURCH STREET

3/14

Church of St John the Baptist

01-11-66

II*

Parish Church, C11, C15, 1805 and 1874 restoration and rebuilding by James Fowler of Louth; coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, western tower, nave, chancel, south porch, vestry. The 3-stage tower is in very weathered ironstone of large irregularly shaped blocks, the lower two stages being Saxo-Norman with a plinth and square section string course and side alternate quoins which are largely concealed by later buttresses of one and a half stages. The top stage was added in C15 and has a plain parapet with C19 pinnacles in a decorated style. On the south face is a small internally splayed light, now almost concealed by a later buttress. The west doorway is also Saxo-Norman and has square jambs, plain chamfered imposts, a semi-circular arch with deep weathered hood mould bearing-traces of incised ornament. The tympanum is pierced by a C20 circular light and has C20 carving. The C20 door is glazed. Above the door is a small round headed internally splayed window. The top stage has a large clock with Roman numerals. The north face is blank. The four belfry lights, one to each face, are C15 2-light openings with cusped heads. The remainder of the church dates from the 1874 rebuilding which follows an earlier rebuilding of 1805 although some masonry may be medieval. The Early English style has been used with four two-light north windows, a 3 light east window, five two-light south windows. On the north side is a stepped chimney stack with circular chamfer moulded top. Interior: The Saxo-Norman tower arch is tall and round headed with square jambs and arch and chamfered imposts. One half of the arch has a deep roll moulding the other half is plain. The furnishings all date from the 1874 restoration. The chancel roof is decorated with stencilled fleur de lys between the rafters. In the nave and chancel is stained glass from 1874- 1900. The chancel floor is of Minton tiles. The stone reredos and altar sculpture is of the Last Supper and contains the 10 Commandments and Creed. At west end is a Royal Coat of Arms.

Source: H.M. and Joan Taylor, Anglo Saxon Architecture.

Listing NGR: TA1111100196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196494

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)

End of official listing