CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1063439
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063439 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:14:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Owersby
National Grid Reference:
TF 04941 96231

Details

TF 09 NW OWERSBY THORNTON LE MOOR

4/49 Church of All Saints 1-11-66 G.V. II*

Parish church; C11, C12 early C13, late C13, restoration 1871. Coursed ironstone rubble with stone coped slate roofs. Nave with western bellcote, chancel, south porch. The west end has a plain roll moulded plinth and a single C13 lancet with hoodmould. At the top of the gable is a further roll moulding from which the late C12 chamfered bellcote springs. It has worn openings which appear to have been pointed and a rectangular mid wall shaft and imposts. On top of its gable is a C19 cross fleury. The gable has been raised at eaves level and the steeper pitch of the original nave roof can be seen. In the north wall the C13 blocked 4 bay arcade is visible. Inserted in the blocking are 4 single C19 lancets. Above the 1st 3 arches are small quatrefoil clerestorey lights, that on the left side being C13, the other 2 are C19 copies. The chancel was largely rebuilt in 1871 although the lower fabric is medieval. The north window is a single lancet, the east window a flat group of 3 stepped lancets and the south side is as the north. The south side of the nave has 2 stepped buttresses and 2 C13 lancets with 2 quatrefoil clerestorey lights above, one C19 the other C13. Beside the C19 added porch, is one half of a door arch and impost, cut by the early C13 lancet. As the actual south door is early to mid C12 it seems likely that this plain arch represents a C11 south door, possibly of Anglo Saxon origin. The south doorway has one order of columns with scalloped capitals, an outer band of double zig zag to the arch with a cross motif hoodmould and plain square inner arch. At the west end of the south face can be seen the remains of the C12 corbel table which was largely removed when the clerestorey was added. Interior; the 4 bay blocked north arcade has C13 octagonal columns with the 2 eastern capitals having nail head decoration and double chamfered arches. Between the arches heads from the C12 corbel table have been set, 2 above each column and there a further 4 corbel heads set in the south side. The chancel arch dates from 1871 and is in the Early English Style. In the chancel north wall, a C19 aumbry has been set with a fragment of an Anglo-Saxon cross-Shaft with interlace decoration at the back, and 2 C12 decorated slab fragments to the sides. The stained glass in chancel and quatrefoil lights dates to 1875. The stone pulpit and timber pews are C19, but 2 bench ends in the chancel are C15 with poppy heads. The chest dates from C17.

Listing NGR: TF0494196231

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196529
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05656/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].