CHURCH OF ST LUKE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LUKE, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063538.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:51:56.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LUKE, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 34344 57073
TF 35 NW STICKNEY MAIN STREET
4/46 Church of St. Luke 3.2.67 II*
Parish church. C13, C15, restored 1793, 1887 and 1900 by Bassett Smith. Ashlar and red brick. Plain tile roofs to nave and chancel, lead roof to south aisle. Single stacks to the vestry and north chancel. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave, east chancel and porch. Buttressed. Tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, north aisle, vestry and chancel. C15 angle buttressed tower part rebuilt 1900, set on a triple chamfered plinth with moulded band over of 4 stages with bands and embattled with single corner gargoyles. The west wall with moulded 4 centred arched doorway with carved spandrels and quatrefoil frieze over. Tudor hood mould and label stops. Above is a single C15 arched 4 light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. Above, to the west and north sides are single quatrefoils set into rectangles. 2 stair lights to the west side, single stair light and single clock face to the south side. 4 arched bell chamber openings each with 3 lights above and below the single transoms, cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north aisle, rebuilt 1793, is set on a chamfered plinth and is of ashlar with brick bands to the north wall. West wall with single C15 pointed segmental arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north wall has a single arched 3 light window with cusped tracery. To the left is a pointed chamfered arched doorway and further left 2 arched 3 light windows with cusped tracery. To the right of the left window is a single ashlar plaque dated 1793. The east wall has a single C19 arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery. The C19 clerestory has a single pair of arched lights with cusped tracery, to the left is a single large cinquefoil set into a circle, a single similar pair of lights, a single similar cinquefoil and on the far left a single light window with cusped tracery. The east wall of the nave with evidence of former roof line to chancel. The C19 chancel has in the north wall a single C19 arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the left is the projecting C19 lean-to vestry with pointed moulded arched doorway in the north wall. The east wall has a single pointed arched 2 light window with single transom and cupsed tracery. The east and south chancel are set on a chamfered plinth with band over. East wall with single large arched 5 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould, label stops and stepped continuous sill band extending around the south chancel. The south chancel has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south aisle, with parapet, is set on a chamfered plinth. The east wall has a single C15 arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south wall has 2 pointed segmental arched 3 light restored C15 windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. To the left is the gabled porch, rebuilt 1887, with parapet. Moulded arched entrance with hood mould and label stops, the east and west walls each with single trefoil arched lights and 2 C14 gargoyles. Interior with 3 transverse ribs and inner C14 moulded arched doorway with C19 hood mould and decorative label stops. To the left is a single C15 pointed segmental arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. The west wall with single similar larger 3 light window and similar hood mould and label stops. The south clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 4 bay late C13 nave arcades with double chamfered arches, quatrefoil piers and responds with fillets, the north arcade capitals and the south arcade west respond decorated with nailhead. Tall triple chamfered C15 tower arch. C19 moulded and chamfered chancel arch supported on circular responds with nailhead decorated capitals. Moulded arched vestry doorway with hood mould and label stops, continuous sill band to south and north chancel windows. C19 reredos and tripartite sedilia. The south aisle with single arched piscina. C19 octagonal font with blind cusped tracery. C19 nave and chancel roofs, nave roof supported on 8 C15 human head corbels.
Listing NGR: TF3434457073
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing