METHODIST CHAPEL AND STABLES AT RAITHBY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1063583
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHAPEL AND STABLES AT RAITHBY HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHAPEL AND STABLES AT RAITHBY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063583 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 10:01:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHAPEL AND STABLES AT RAITHBY HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Raithby
National Grid Reference:
TF 37385 67034

Details

RAITHBY MAIN STREET TF 36 NE (east side) 2/37 Methodist Chapel and Stables at Raithby Hall (formerly listed as Wesley's Chapel) 3.2.67 G.V. I Methodist chapel and stables. c.1760, altered 1779 by Robert Carr Brackenbury and dedicated by John Wesley on 5th July 1779. Red brick in Flemish bond, hipped Westmorland slate roof with lead dressings. Stable to ground floor, chapel over. 2 storey, 3 bay front with first floor band and corbelled out eaves course. Central planked door with rendered panel over, set in semi- circular headed surround with painted ashlar key and impost blocks. Flanked by single C19 plain sashes. To first floor a central semi-circular headed glazing bar sash is flanked by single glazing bar sashes with slightly cambered heads. All openings have rubbed brick arches. The first floor chapel appears to have been added to the stables at a slightly later date. To the left an added blank bay containing the chapel stair, with ball finial to plain parapet. Left hand side front has double planked doors under semi-circular arched stucco head. Above a tripartite sash with brick tympanum under semi-circular stucco head. To the rear the chapel has 3 glazing bar sashes, the central one with a semi-circular head and a planked doorway with segmental head to ground floor. Interior. Semi-circular archway beneath a divided double flight stone stair to first floor chapel, with turned and knopped balusters, turned newel, moulded hand rail. Balustrade returns to window. Fine double panelled doors, set in panelled reveals with moulded wooden architrave, dentillated cornice on scrolled brackets, and pediment. Interior of chapel retains double panel dado panelling. On the right hand side a hat rack for the men's pews. Dentillated cornice. Segmental vaulted plaster ceiling. 3 sets of contemporary box pews to rear. Moulded communion rail on turned and knopped balusters set in a square beneath the pulpit which has matching balustrade. Octagonal tester, dentillated with entasia star. The stable retains 5 stalls with planked ramped partitions, chamfered verticals, wooden mangers and hayracks. John Wesley reputedly tied his horse up at one of the stalls on his visits to Raithby. He also preached here on 3rd July 1788 to a packed congregation as recorded in his Journal.

Listing NGR: TF3738567034

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196152
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04071/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].